"California Gold Country" Grass Valley by trvlrtom
Grass Valley Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 66 photos
Grass Valley, like other towns along the western length of California's Sierra Nevada mountains, was built during the gold rush days of the last half of the 19th century. While the boom town days of the mining era are long gone, Grass Valley has a relatively strong community based on tourism and as a home for commuters to the Sacramento area.
To get to Grass Valley from highway 80 you have to pass through miles of not very appealing scenery along highway 49, with strip malls and seemingly unregulated development. Once in town, however, the visitor will be welcomed by an array of historic buildings in the well preserved downtown and many friendly shopkeepers happy to sell you there goods.
Just three or four miles further up on highway 49 is the town of Nevada City. Similar to Grass Valley in many ways, it too is well worth a visit for its history, culture, shopping, dining and nightlife.
The Del Oro Theater is one of Grass Valley's architectural treasures. The movie theater is still operating. In this building there is also a tasting room for one of the local wineries.
The sign on the front of the Old Town Café says this is the "Oldest continuous restaurant in Grass Valley”. With the... more travel advice
The local chamber of commerce is a good place to stop to get a free walking tour map of town. Grass Valley isn't very... more travel advice
trvlrtom's Related Pages
Grass Valley Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grass Valley: Historic Gold Mining Town"
- "California Gold Country"
- "Grass Valley, California"
- "The Gold-Mining City of Grass Valley"
- "Hometown: Grass Valley, CA"
- "One day i will to Penn Valley.Lake Tahoe.and more"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grass Valley
- Hotels in Grass Valley
- Nightlife in Grass Valley
- Restaurants in Grass Valley
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grass Valley
- 13 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Grass Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grass Valley
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Maui Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos