"Lower Slaughter - Charming Cotswold village" Top 5 Page for this destination Lower Slaughter by trvlrtom
Lower Slaughter Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 75 photos
Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter are often noted as two of the prettiest villages in the Cotswolds. Lower Slaughter is larger and more visited, with the pleasant Eye stream meandering through. Paved walkways along the stream make for picturesque views all along the way.
The name of Slaughter has nothing to do with butchers and blood; it comes from the old English word Slohtre meaning a muddy place, which it probably was before the stream became directed and development took place.
Lower Slaughter is only just over a mile from Bourton-on-the-Water, which you can easily walk to along a footpath. We did so, but the scenery on this route isn't outstanding. It saved us from having to deal with the car in the bustling town of Bourton-on-the-Water. The Slaughters are much more secluded and quiet, with few shops or attractions. Lower Slaughter has a working water wheel, now converted into a gift shop and museum
The one mile walk to Upper Slaughter is pleasant enough and is completely free from road noise. It makes for a good diversion of an hour or so.
While Lower Slaughter has a slow pace and limited options for food, etc., Bourton-on-the-Water is completely different.... more travel advice
trvlrtom's Related Pages
Lower Slaughter Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lambs naturally go with Slaughter"
- "Lower Slaughter - Charming Cotswold village"
- "LOWER SLAUGHTER - THE COTSWALD'S"
- "Lower Slaughter"
- "The heart of the Cotswolds"
- "My Cotswold Route..."
- "Perfect Cotswolds village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lower Slaughter
- Hotels in Lower Slaughter
- Restaurants in Lower Slaughter
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lower Slaughter
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Lower Slaughter?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lower Slaughter
Photos in Lower SlaughterSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Maui Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos