"Berlin" Berlin by trvlrtom
Berlin Travel Guide: 6,951 reviews and 15,575 photos
Berlin is a fascinating and exciting city, with layers of history and culture in every neighborhood. Watching the rebuilding of the city center, with the brilliant new architecture of Potsdamer Platz, the Sony Center and many other buildings and areas, is refreshing and encouraging. Older neighborhoods in the former eastern zone display interesting contrasts from refurbished pre-war buildings, communist era apartment blocks and lively arts and cultural scenes.
The healthy pedestrian atmosphere throughout the city perhaps make it one of my favorite cities to visit. Regardless of what part of the city you are in, there are bound to be friendly cafe's, restaurants and bars. If you can, rent or borrow a bicycle to get across town and see as much as you can with the ease of stopping where you please. There are bound to be many happy diversions.
It is difficult to get lost in central Berlin. Wherever you are, look for the great TV tower and you will know how to get back to Alexanderplatz!
Here are a few of my favorite memories of visiting Berlin:
1 - walking around interesting neighborhoods like Prenzauer Berg, looking at the old and new buildings and stopping for coffee.
2 - riding a bike across town, through Tiergarten, the Brandenburg Gate, across the river...
3 - stopping for currywurst and a pils
4 - digging deep into 20th century history at one or more of Berlin's great museums: DDR Museum, Deutsches Historisches Museum or Stasi Museum
5 - taking in the brilliant architecture of Sony Center
6 - Selecting a specialty museum and becoming curious again: Bauhaus Archiv, Musem fur Kommunikation, Pergamon museum...
7 - Appreciating the contrasts between old architecture, socialist architecture and everything new going up since the 1990s.
8 - Visiting funky bars and restaurants.
Berlin is a great city for pedestrians. People here enjoy taking time for a drink or a snack. Consider yourself lucky if you find empty seats like these at a cafe on Oderberger strasse on a sunny day.
While there is no shortage of things to do in Berlin, during my last trip to Berlin we made two day trips that were exceptional: the towns of Bautzen and Gorlitz. These two historic old towns are full of heritage and architectural charm. While Berlin's fascinating history is layered and continually evolving with contemporary style, Bautzen and Gorltz give you a feeling of walking through a time capsule.
- Pros:Vibrant, authentic, varied.
Near Kollwitzplatz there are two interesting old water towers, the first built in 1856 and the second in 1877. They are... more travel advice
A visit here is something everyone knows about when they visit Berlin. Unless your guidebook is ancient, it is always... more travel advice
trvlrtom's Related Pages
Berlin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than the capital of Germany"
- "Berlin, Berlin - wir fahren nach Berlin!"
- "Berlin in my way"
- "Wunderbar Berlin"
- "Berlin - the whole world in one town"
- "Berlin .... und das ist gut so!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berlin
- Hotels in Berlin
- Transportation in Berlin
- Nightlife in Berlin
- Restaurants in Berlin
- Shopping in Berlin
- Warnings and Dangers in Berlin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berlin
- 36 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Berlin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berlin
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The 25 Most Overrated Places..."
- Wrote a Review Wasserturm in Prenslauer Berg about Kreuzberg and Prenzlauer Berg in Berlin Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wasserturm in Prenslauer Berg"
- updated a Berlin Travel Page "Berlin"
- Commented on one of Turtleshell's Berlin travel pages
Photos in BerlinSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Jose Intro, 51 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz Intro, 33 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nevada City Intro, 26 reviews, 34 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kailua-Kona Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Maui Intro, 14 reviews, 20 photos