"I guess this is home" Oost-Souburg by marco_ev

Oost-Souburg Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos

This is one of the busiest parts of my hometown Souburg. I guess that means it's not busy at all. And that's what good about Souburg. It's quiet, laidback and you've got everything you need at hand: shops, banks and a few bars, restaurants and take-aways...
Oost-Souburg has about 12,000 inhabitants and its neighbour West-Souburg on the other side of the canal ('Kanaal door Walcheren') has about 1,500. The two are separated only by a bridge and just as close to Vlissingen (40,000 inh.) as they are to Middelburg (also some 40,000 inh.).

What we have here is the street where I live on a picture from around 1946. In fact, the frontdoor on the right is my very own frontdoor.
In 1944, the allied forces bombed the dykes around the island of Walcheren, on which Souburg is situated, in order to get the Germans out. The island flooded and remained so for about two years.You can still see the salt in the bricks of some houses in Souburg (and on the rest of the island).
This period had such an impact, that locals refer to certain events as before or after 'The Water'. E.g. my house is from before The Water and I'm clearly not. Well, I hope it's clear that I am not anyway.

And this is what the landscape looks like just outside the town...

Well, I guess Souburg is not really worth a detour. But if anyone of you judges it differently, drop me a line and I'll buy you a beer in the local pub.

• Intro Updated Aug 14, 2006

Comments

marco_ev Lives Here!

marco_ev

“travel without a cause”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Oost-Souburg

Have you been to Oost-Souburg?

Latest Activity in Oost-Souburg