"El Paso, Texas" Top 5 Page for this destination El Paso by DrewV
El Paso Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 612 photos
<font size=+1 face=verdana color=darkorange><b><p align=center>El Paso -- City on the Edge of Forever</font></b>
<font face=verdana><i>Down in the West Texas town of El Paso,
I ate a big spate of Mexican food...</i></p>
If you've been to Dallas or Houston or Austin, you might think of Texas the way the folks out there do: big, brash, rich, conservative, a bit crazy, egos the siz of New York. Texas isn't American, it's not Southern, it's not Mexican, it's just Texan.
But El Paso, that's another beast entirely. It's the red-headed step child of Texas. First of all, it's closer to Phoenix than to Dallas or Houston. Second, it's desert instead of hot and humid oil-rich grassland. Third, the population is mostly Hispanic, as opposed to the Anglo-Germans of the rest of the state. Lastly, it's dwarfed by its massive neighbor across the river, Ciudad Juarez, and if there's one things Texans can't stand, it's being dwarfed.
In truth, I find El Paso to be a refreshing diversion from the rest of Texas. It feels more like <i>Tejas</i> than Texas. The folks are friendly, the traffic manageable, the food incredible, and the desert landscape memorable. Listening to Mexican radio while careening down I-10, I couldn't help but feel <i>muy bien</i>.
It's not Mexico, it's not New Mexico, it's not Texas. It's El Paso -- get it while it's hot! (Which is all the time -- it's the Chihuahuan desert, you know.)
- In a nutshell:Great food, dry heat, nice views, friendly folks, Tejas in its purest form.
Fort Bliss, which became a major Army base back in the days of Pancho Villa, dominates Northeast El Paso. After border... more travel advice
It's a typical American thing, but downtowns tend to suck nowadays. Unless you're a really big city (and not LA), your... more travel advice
DrewV's Related Pages
El Paso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sun City"
- "Jumping Around El Paso!"
- "El Paso: City of Sun and Sharp Contrasts"
- "Basaic El Paso Page"
- "El Paso, Texas"
- "El Paso appears not to be Bush country"
- "El Paso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Paso
- Hotels in El Paso
- Transportation in El Paso
- Nightlife in El Paso
- Restaurants in El Paso
- Shopping in El Paso
- Warnings and Dangers in El Paso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Paso
- 13 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to El Paso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Paso
Photos in El PasoSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues