"Atlanta, Georgia" Atlanta by DrewV

Atlanta Travel Guide: 1,494 reviews and 2,681 photos

<font face=verdana>
Let me preface this by saying that I lived in Atlanta for five and a half years. I am now in graduate school in Washington, DC; however, I still consider Atlanta to be my second home (after Nashville). My criticisms of the city are based on "tough love" -- Atlanta could be a world-class city, and it should be a world-class city. That said, its failings need to be understood and accepted, not swept under the carpet or left like skeletons in the closet. So please take all this with a grain of salt, and be sure to click on the travelogues in order. Thanks,y'all! And now, my Atlanta page:

<b><p align=center><font color=sandybrown size=+1>Atlanta -- Big, brash, and, er, BIG</b></font></p>

<font face=verdana>There are no plantations in Atlanta. There is no <i>Gone with the Wind</i>-esque mansion with fashionable ladies in petticoats and dashing soldiers with Clark Gable-like mustaches. Atlanta was somewhat like that, but then Sherman burnt it, and time took its toll.

Atlanta might be known to some of you as the "Random City that Hosted the Centennial Olympics in 1996." Others call it the "City Too Busy to Hate." Others call it the "Capital of the New South." All of these are somewhat right and somewhat wrong. I mean, Atlanta <b>DID</b> host the Olympics in 1996, but Samarnach (the fascist head of the IOC) gave us the big thumbs-down for being "non-excellent". Bloody fascist anarchist...

Atlanta was the home of Dr. Martin Luther King, the great civil rights activist, and his comrades, many of whom have degenerated into hate-based politics since his death. The idea of Atlanta as a loving, racially-tolerant city is due primarily to a lovely bit of spin-control. The wealth gap and the crime rate are both particularly gruesome.

Atlanta is big like a sumo wrestler. Not tall, per se, just really wide. The metro Atlanta area would dwarf some European countries in area, but most of it is suburban strip malls, cookie-cutter houses, and chain restaurants. Every restaurant in Atlanta is part of a chain, local or national.

At one point, the area known as Atlanta was once a gorgeous forest with wonderful pines, oaks, elms, birches, honeysuckle, and flowering dogwoods. But as the Joni Mitchell song says, they "paved paradise and put up a parking lot." And that's why I have a parking lot featured above.

I'm not from here, I just live here. I'm really from Nashville, four hours up the road, and the greatest city in the universe. Seriously. Atlanta's great for flights (I know all of y'all have been to the airport at least once) and employment, but not much else. There are moments of splendour and sparks of brilliance, but for the most part, this city is one big characterless standardized mess. Y'all come back now, hear?</font>

• Last visit to Atlanta: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated Jun 18, 2003

Badges & Stats in Atlanta

Have you been to Atlanta?