Budapest Things to Do Tips by DrewV
Budapest Things to Do: 3,235 reviews and 6,592 photos
Parliament, on the Danube
Here you see the Westminster-like Hungarian parliament. It's so huge, only 25% or so of the building is used by the Parliament. And do you see the scaffolding? That infamous Drew curse strikes again. Still, it's nice to see that Hungary won't be out of its league when compared to its soon-to-be-brethren in the EU.
Address: Kossut Lajos tér (square)
The fact of the matter is that the Danube is not blue. If it were, it would look like this:
One of my nicknames growing up was V (as in DrewV). So I was all psyched to find this establishment in Pest. I also apologize for missing some of the cool parts of Pest, like St. Stephen's Basilica, Vorosmarty Ter, and the bustling streets of the Belvaros. Sadly, I ran out of film, and I spent most of my time in Budapest worrying about changing my flight so that I could get my darn tuberculosis shot. Don't worry -- one day I'll be back to Budapest and I'l get all the pictures I missed...
Nagycsamarok: mmm... paprika...
The great market hall of Pest is a fantastic place to get paprika, sausage, and all sorts of Hungarian delights. The wondrous smells will knock you over when you walk in the door, and as you explore, the joy becomes even greater. It's just super-cool and super-cheap. I highly recommend it, just for the experience.
Address: Pest side of the Liberty Bridge
The Great Synagogue of Pest is the largest fully functioning synagogue in Europe. Budapest was a center of Jewish culture prior to the Second World War. Unfortunately, most of its Jews were forcibly moved to Auschwitz/Birkenau at the end of the war. The ones that remain have rebuilt the community and restored the synagogue to its original glory.
Address: Dohány Street
Who izzy? I dunno... and neither do you!
This shadowy figure is Anonymous, the scribe who recorded much of Hungary's early history. Now he stands watch in a courtyard of Vajdahunyad Castle, a castle designed after a Transylvanian castle, but with Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and other architectural elements to reflect Hungary's rich history.
Address: 1146 Budapest, XIV. kerület, Városliget
Directions: Central park, near Hõsõk teré
Phone: (+36) 1/343-3198
Hõsök tere, in all its glory
Let's head over to Pest now.
In 1896, Hungary celebrated its Millienium. A Thousand Years of Hungary. They went all out. The continent's first subway was built (very lovely, highly recommended) and Heroes' Square (Hõsök Tere) was constructed as a centrepiece for the celebration. All around the square runs a collanade with statues of each Hungarian Hero -- important kings and other warriors. I'm just sorry that I don't have an adequate picture.
Address: Hõsök tere
Directions: Pest side, near Central Park
It's the little details which seem so charming. In this case, it's this archway through which the path leads down the hill to the river. I just like little tunnels and archways. I'm sure there's some severe Freudian trauma associated with that, but I don't care.
Directions: Buda side
Very intriguing, if random
In front of the Matyas Church in Buda is this monument. I'm afraid I can't remember the significance of it, because I was a slacker in my note-taking in Budapest. I tried looking online for it, but I haven't found anything. My apologies. Still, it's quite nice, isn't it?
The tower of Matyas Church
Matyas Church is the chief church on the Varhegy. They tell me it's neo-Gothic. I'm not convinced that it is, but I'm hardly an expert on such things. What I do know is that it's quite groovy. I also really enjoy the intricate tilework on the roof, which reminds me of the patterns you might see on the roof of the churches in Vienna.
Address: I. Szentháromság tér 2, Varbusz.
DrewV's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lough Hyne Hotels
- Tahoe City
- Peterborough Hotels
- Broken Hill Hotels
- Estado de Michoacán de Ocampo Hotels
- Parry Sound
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
- updated a Budapest Travelogue "The Danube"
- Wrote a Review Parliament about Parliament - Orszaghaz in Budapest Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Not-So-Blue Danube"
- Posted in Travel Grand Bahama Island Forum "Re: Re: Grand Bahama Island --..."
- Commented on one of Mirellaboer's Budapest travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Latest Budapest hotel reviews
- Mandragora Hostel
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Best Western Grand Hotel Hungaria
- 204 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Radisson SAS Beke Hotel Budapest
- 228 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Le Meridien Budapest
- 1059 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal
- 2032 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Mercure Budapest Korona
- 465 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Marco Polo Hostel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- Mercure Budapest City Center
- 451 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Boscolo New York Palace Hotel Budapest
- 693 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Budapest Apartment 4 (Locust Tree Apartments)
- 159 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Domina Inn Fiesta
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2013
- City Panzio Pilvax
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Sofitel Budapest
- 1245 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Sissi
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Novotel Budapest Congress
- 164 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Buda Castle - Budavar- 261 Reviews, 539 Photos
- Szechenyi Bath - Szechenyi furdo- 60 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Fisherman Bastion - Halaszbastya- 163 Reviews, 332 Photos
- Heroes' Square - Hosok tere- 130 Reviews, 283 Photos
- St. Stephen's Basilica - Szent Istvan Bazilika- 130 Reviews, 302 Photos
- Market Hall - Grand Market Hall - Nagyvasarcsarnok- 45 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Parliament - Orszaghaz- 161 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Gellert Hill - Gellert Hegy - Citadella- 103 Reviews, 213 Photos
- Synagogue - Dohány Street Central Synagogue- 67 Reviews, 157 Photos
- Mathias Church - Mátyás-templom- 103 Reviews, 208 Photos
See All Budapest Things to Do