Budapest Things to Do Tips by DrewV
Budapest Things to Do: 3,171 reviews and 6,394 photos
Parliament, on the Danube
Here you see the Westminster-like Hungarian parliament. It's so huge, only 25% or so of the building is used by the Parliament. And do you see the scaffolding? That infamous Drew curse strikes again. Still, it's nice to see that Hungary won't be out of its league when compared to its soon-to-be-brethren in the EU.
Address: Kossut Lajos tér (square)
The fact of the matter is that the Danube is not blue. If it were, it would look like this:
One of my nicknames growing up was V (as in DrewV). So I was all psyched to find this establishment in Pest. I also apologize for missing some of the cool parts of Pest, like St. Stephen's Basilica, Vorosmarty Ter, and the bustling streets of the Belvaros. Sadly, I ran out of film, and I spent most of my time in Budapest worrying about changing my flight so that I could get my darn tuberculosis shot. Don't worry -- one day I'll be back to Budapest and I'l get all the pictures I missed...
Nagycsamarok: mmm... paprika...
The great market hall of Pest is a fantastic place to get paprika, sausage, and all sorts of Hungarian delights. The wondrous smells will knock you over when you walk in the door, and as you explore, the joy becomes even greater. It's just super-cool and super-cheap. I highly recommend it, just for the experience.
Address: Pest side of the Liberty Bridge
The Great Synagogue of Pest is the largest fully functioning synagogue in Europe. Budapest was a center of Jewish culture prior to the Second World War. Unfortunately, most of its Jews were forcibly moved to Auschwitz/Birkenau at the end of the war. The ones that remain have rebuilt the community and restored the synagogue to its original glory.
Address: Dohány Street
Who izzy? I dunno... and neither do you!
This shadowy figure is Anonymous, the scribe who recorded much of Hungary's early history. Now he stands watch in a courtyard of Vajdahunyad Castle, a castle designed after a Transylvanian castle, but with Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and other architectural elements to reflect Hungary's rich history.
Address: 1146 Budapest, XIV. kerület, Városliget
Directions: Central park, near Hõsõk teré
Phone: (+36) 1/343-3198
Hõsök tere, in all its glory
Let's head over to Pest now.
In 1896, Hungary celebrated its Millienium. A Thousand Years of Hungary. They went all out. The continent's first subway was built (very lovely, highly recommended) and Heroes' Square (Hõsök Tere) was constructed as a centrepiece for the celebration. All around the square runs a collanade with statues of each Hungarian Hero -- important kings and other warriors. I'm just sorry that I don't have an adequate picture.
Address: Hõsök tere
Directions: Pest side, near Central Park
It's the little details which seem so charming. In this case, it's this archway through which the path leads down the hill to the river. I just like little tunnels and archways. I'm sure there's some severe Freudian trauma associated with that, but I don't care.
Directions: Buda side
Very intriguing, if random
In front of the Matyas Church in Buda is this monument. I'm afraid I can't remember the significance of it, because I was a slacker in my note-taking in Budapest. I tried looking online for it, but I haven't found anything. My apologies. Still, it's quite nice, isn't it?
The tower of Matyas Church
Matyas Church is the chief church on the Varhegy. They tell me it's neo-Gothic. I'm not convinced that it is, but I'm hardly an expert on such things. What I do know is that it's quite groovy. I also really enjoy the intricate tilework on the roof, which reminds me of the patterns you might see on the roof of the churches in Vienna.
Address: I. Szentháromság tér 2, Varbusz.
DrewV's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Marcahuasi Hotels
- Ashford Hotels
- Guadeloupe Hotels
- Srednje Selo na Solti Hotels
- Pulau Tekong
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
- updated a Budapest Travelogue "The Danube"
- Wrote a Review Parliament about Parliament - Orszaghaz in Budapest Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Not-So-Blue Danube"
- Posted in Travel Grand Bahama Island Forum "Re: Re: Grand Bahama Island --..."
- Commented on one of Mirellaboer's Budapest travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Latest Budapest hotel reviews
- Golden Stars Budapest Apartments
- 215 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Orion
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Star Inn Hotel Budapest Centrum
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Dominic Panzio
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- Museum Guest House
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- 7 Star Hotel Hostel and Apartments Budapest
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 25, 2013
- Backpack Guesthouse Budapest
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 18, 2013
- Budapest Bubble
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Danubius Health Spa Resort Margitsziget
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Astori Downtown Hostel Budapest
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 22, 2012
- Kalvin House
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Victor Apartment Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 15, 2009
- Orient Summer Hostel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Club Apartment Great
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Happy Budapest
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 11, 2009
- Buda Castle - Budavar- 257 Reviews, 525 Photos
- Szechenyi Bath - Szechenyi furdo- 58 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Fisherman Bastion - Halaszbastya- 161 Reviews, 323 Photos
- Market Hall - Grand Market Hall - Nagyvasarcsarnok- 45 Reviews, 100 Photos
- St. Stephen's Basilica - Szent Istvan Bazilika- 129 Reviews, 297 Photos
- Heroes' Square - Hosok tere- 129 Reviews, 278 Photos
- Parliament - Orszaghaz- 160 Reviews, 316 Photos
- Gellert Hill - Gellert Hegy - Citadella- 102 Reviews, 208 Photos
- Margharet Island - Margit-Sziget- 58 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Mathias Church - Mátyás-templom- 101 Reviews, 203 Photos
See All Budapest Things to Do