"Arizona, USA" Arizona by DrewV
Arizona Travel Guide: 10,349 reviews and 27,945 photos
A wise man once said, "The grass is always greener on the other side." He should have added, "unless that other side is Arizona." I have no proof, but I think it's no coincidence that Arizona sounds a lot like "Arid Zone." It's just a really big, hot desert.
(At least it's a dry heat, they say... sure, but 130 degrees is nasty no matter how dry you are.)
Still, Arizona is beautiful. There's a savage beauty about the desert, the colossal boulders, the endless rock and sand, the lone saguaro cactus standing sentinel on the windswept plain, the sunset red of the rocks carved with the sweat of ancient cultures.
Of course, there is more to Arizona than the desert. There's metro Phoenix, which has really gone out of its way to use up every drop of water it can find to create extraordinary lush golf courses and lawns for Scottsdale. In spite of the vast amounts of green in the city, they haven't quite figured out the idea of green traffic lights, specifically left turn signals. Be prepared to make a lot of left-on-red turns.
The other cool attraction about metro Phoenix is Cactus League baseball. Every spring, some of the best teams in Major League Baseball (including my beloved Cubs) come to Arizona for Spring Training. They play in small stadiums located around the metro Phoenix area. It's a ton of fun to watch the Cubs, Giants, A's, Mariners, Brewers, Rockies, and Angels for a couple of bucks on a gorgeous March evening.
As for the rest of the state, they've got some great ancient pueblos and other Native American cities carved straight out of the rock. There's also the red rocks of Sedona, and of course the Grand Canyon (which is, surprisingly enough, grand).
Arizona gets a thumbs-up from me, but go in the Springtime, because the summer can get a bit warm, and dying of heat exhaustion is never a priority.
Montezuma didn't live here, nor is it really all that authentic, but as you drive north to the Canyon from Phoenix, it... more travel advice
DrewV's Related Pages
Arizona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, Historic Arizona"
- "WALK IN BEAUTY"
- "Jumping Around Our Very Own State - ARIZONA!"
- "Arizona, breathtaking scenery"
- "Jumping Thelma and Louise in Arizona!!!"
- "Raising Arizona to New Heights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arizona
- Hotels in Arizona
- Transportation in Arizona
- Nightlife in Arizona
- Restaurants in Arizona
- Shopping in Arizona
- Warnings and Dangers in Arizona
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arizona
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Arizona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arizona
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (24)
Top Arizona hotels
- Sedona Hotels
- 870 Reviews - 2025 Photos
- Scottsdale Hotels
- 253 Reviews - 597 Photos
- Phoenix Hotels
- 718 Reviews - 1460 Photos
- Kayenta Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Tucson Hotels
- 948 Reviews - 2194 Photos
- Grand Canyon Hotels
- 925 Reviews - 3048 Photos
- Flagstaff Hotels
- 391 Reviews - 760 Photos
- Lake Havasu City Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 208 Photos
- Page Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 689 Photos
- Payson Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 144 Photos
- Williams Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 147 Photos
- Winslow Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 123 Photos
- Oro Valley Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Tempe Hotels
- 96 Reviews - 216 Photos
- Grand Canyon National Park Hotels
- 550 Reviews - 1329 Photos