"London, England" London by DrewV

London Travel Guide: 23,502 reviews and 49,605 photos

<font face=verdana size=+1 color=red><center><i><b>London's Drowning and I Live by the River...</i>
-- the Clash</b></center></font>

<font face=verdana>London. How does one describe a city like London? You see, here's the problem: we're using English right now, a fine language developed in London over the course of the centuries. I doubt that when Shakespeare was writing his plays on the South Bank that he knew that the words he would invent (like "lonely") would be perpetuated around the world. English is the <i>lingua franca</i> of the world (much to the chagrin of the Franks). Therefore, as the center of the English-speaking world, London is the center of the entire world.

Sure, New York, LA, Washington, and Auckland might press their case, but I'm an Anglophile and I say that London is the center of the world. Even before finally arriving in London this January, I knew so much about the city. English culture revolves around its capital, and America still has quite a large soft spot for the "old country." We adopt the royal family as our own; we adopt every musical craze to crawl from the Thames (British Invasion, New Wave, punk, reggae, Britpop, Spice Girls... I didn't say we should have taken them <i>all</i>...); we've even got the Weakest Link now!

The moral of the story is that London is a big important town. And it feels like a big important town. That means that it's much more manageable than a New York or even a Paris or Madrid. London is easy to get around, relatively polite, and full of world-class pubs. The food is terrific; the beer flows well; everything is peachy. Great town. Now, if they'd only give me a job...

I've got a ridiculous amount of information on this page. Start with this front page, then after you've seen the requisite introductory stuff, move to the various neighbourhoods. Start in <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.50051/article/1545/52/?s=u">The City of London</a>, that ancient and famous one-mile square financial centre. Move west along Oxford Street to <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.50051/article/1545/53/?s=u">Central London</a>, featuring Soho and Covent Garden. Moving west, we reach <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.50051/article/1545/54/?s=u">Westminster</a>, home to Parliament and a particularly large Abbey. Behind that, of course, is <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.50051/article/1545/55/?s=u">Whitehall</a>, where the wheels of government spin (or stall, depending on your political perspective). Across Hyde and Regents Park, we've got <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.50051/article/1545/56/?s=u">Northwest-ish London</a>, including St. John's Wood, Baker Street, and Marylebone. And lastly, no visit to London would be complete without a trip to <a href="http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.50051/article/1545/57/?s=u">Greenwich</a>, where you can get rained on in two hemispheres at once!

Welcome to London Town -- Enjoy your trip to Cool Brittania...</font>

• Last visit to London: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2003

• eugini2001's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 6:49 PM

lovely!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 4:13 AM

Sun, amazing, how did you do it? You also forgot to mention that the American who bought the London Bridge actually thought he was buying the Tower Bridge! History can be a wonderful teacher.

• pedersdottir's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 2:37 PM

Enjoyed your travelogues through my fave city "viewed through the glass darkly". Rain or sun London is always lively!

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2003 at 2:38 PM

I took a great guide-led Beatles walking tour that went from Marylebone to Abbey Road Studios. Love your comments!

• jenn_d's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2002 at 5:24 PM

Your humor comes through on all of your pages! Revisitng your home country in 6 weeks after a brief stay in London. Cheers

• Aug 12, 2002 at 7:09 AM

Havent done tower & i live here!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2002 at 4:23 AM

Great page again! up to now i haven´t seen your CD cover on s

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2002 at 1:43 PM

Very informative page and travelogues

• snmred's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2002 at 12:12 AM

Excellent! A wealth of great information and lots of fun to r

• choberygoo's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2002 at 4:06 PM

I got some very useful info from your page for my upcoming tr

Badges & Stats in London