"Strasbourg, Alsace" Strasbourg by DrewV

Strasbourg Travel Guide: 952 reviews and 2,857 photos

Strasbourg -- A Little Schizophrenia to Brighten Your Day

How rough must little Alsace have it? Trapped between Germany and France, being tossed around like a football from first one country then the other. Left with no real sense of belonging to either but being a unique mixture of both.

And so you have Strasbourg. A little bit of Germany, a little bit of France, and 100% Alsatian (in a geographical/cultural sense, not in the big shaggy dog sense -- although you might see a few of them too).

What does that mean for you, the traveller? It means French-quality cuisine with German heartiness. Some of the best food in Europe. It also means a gorgeous Germanic half-timbered district named "Petit France."

Strasbourg is to be tasted. Mangez!

*******************

I would be remiss if I didn't explain my Strasbourg weekend adventure. You see, we had great plans to spend a full day and evening in Strasbourg before spending the night at the Marriott in Karlsruhe, after which we would hit Baden-Baden the next day. All this was contingent on getting on the InterCity from Bonn (where my friend Gabrielle lived) at 9 AM.

Unfortunately, Gabrielle flipped out, thinking that she didn't have enough money to take the train. In her flipping, we missed the train, and a four-hour train ride became a nine-hour odyssey involving four changes, slow trains and layovers in random towns like Offenburg. By the time, we made Strasbourg, we learned that we had only a few hours before the last train to Germany left. We could walk a bit, check out the cathedral, eat dinner, grab a bière, and et back on the train. So, be impressed that this page is as involved as it is -- I've never done so much sightseeing in so short a time.

• In a nutshell:Petit-France? Nein, fraulein!
  • Last visit to Strasbourg: Mar 1999
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2003

Badges & Stats in Strasbourg

Have you been to Strasbourg?