"Strasbourg, Alsace" Strasbourg by DrewV
Strasbourg Travel Guide: 898 reviews and 2,657 photos
How rough must little Alsace have it? Trapped between Germany and France, being tossed around like a football from first one country then the other. Left with no real sense of belonging to either but being a unique mixture of both.
And so you have Strasbourg. A little bit of Germany, a little bit of France, and 100% Alsatian (in a geographical/cultural sense, not in the big shaggy dog sense -- although you might see a few of them too).
What does that mean for you, the traveller? It means French-quality cuisine with German heartiness. Some of the best food in Europe. It also means a gorgeous Germanic half-timbered district named "Petit France."
Strasbourg is to be tasted. Mangez!
I would be remiss if I didn't explain my Strasbourg weekend adventure. You see, we had great plans to spend a full day and evening in Strasbourg before spending the night at the Marriott in Karlsruhe, after which we would hit Baden-Baden the next day. All this was contingent on getting on the InterCity from Bonn (where my friend Gabrielle lived) at 9 AM.
Unfortunately, Gabrielle flipped out, thinking that she didn't have enough money to take the train. In her flipping, we missed the train, and a four-hour train ride became a nine-hour odyssey involving four changes, slow trains and layovers in random towns like Offenburg. By the time, we made Strasbourg, we learned that we had only a few hours before the last train to Germany left. We could walk a bit, check out the cathedral, eat dinner, grab a bière, and et back on the train. So, be impressed that this page is as involved as it is -- I've never done so much sightseeing in so short a time.
- In a nutshell:Petit-France? Nein, fraulein!
Wander amongst the half-timbered houses of Petit France. This district best represents the split personality of... more travel advice
Strasbourg is Alsatian. Yes, everyone speaks French, most speak German and English as well. But if you try a little... more travel advice
DrewV's Related Pages
Strasbourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marchés de Noël in Strasbourg"
- "WHICH COUNTRY DO I BELONG TO!"
- "Strasbourg - At the crossroads of Europe"
- "First stop Strasbourg......"
- "European town"
- "Opera and Cycling in Strasbourg"
- "STRASBOURG - The Beautiful Capital of Alsace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Strasbourg
- Hotels in Strasbourg
- Transportation in Strasbourg
- Nightlife in Strasbourg
- Restaurants in Strasbourg
- Shopping in Strasbourg
- Warnings and Dangers in Strasbourg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Strasbourg
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Strasbourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Strasbourg
Photos in StrasbourgSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues