"Kampong Saom, Khett Kampot" Top 5 Page for this destination Kampong Saom by DrewV
Kampong Saom Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 194 photos
Graced by beautiful beaches and the warm waters of the Gulf of Thailand, Sihanoukville should be one of the great attractions of Cambodia. If you can find it. Everyone calls it Sihanoukville. The guidebooks call it Sihanoukville; the guesthouses call it Sihanoukville; the people in the town call it Sihanoukville. So of course, on a map (and here on VT), it's called Kampong Saom. Whuh???
The town is quite new. Built in the 50's as Cambodia's only deep-water port and named for the king, Sihanoukville is the nation's beachfront resort. And with prices in the ultra-bargain basement ($5 for a guesthouse room, $3 for a meal), it could very well be the best beach value in the world.
Along with Angkor and Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville is the third point in the Cambodian tourism triangle. And it is as good a reason as any why this country could be the next big holiday superstar. World-renowned architecture, terrific history, wonderful food, fabulous beaches, and affordable prices make Cambodia well worth the effort. And after climbing up and down jungle-covered ruins, the beaches make for a perfect rest stop. If you can find it.
So why the name issue? Since Sihanouk had a little problem with collaborating with the French and later the Khmer Rouge, he fell out of favor during the Sen regime (curiously still happening). The result was an official name change to the old name for the area: Kampong Saom. No one calls it that though. But don't feel bad if you get lost getting here. It's OK.
- Pros:Tremendous beaches, great seafood, warm people
- Cons:Not actually called Kampong Saom
- In a nutshell:It's called Sihanoukville, VT people!
As a solo American traveller in Cambodia, I got used to eating by myself, particularly in Sihanoukville (Kampong... more travel advice
Getting to Sihanoukville (Kampong Saom) is easy and relaxing. The road from Phnom Penh is (as of 2002) the only paved... more travel advice
DrewV's Related Pages
Kampong Saom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sihanoukville - Cambodia's premier beach resort"
- "Preah Sihanouk Ville"
- "Kampong Saom, Khett Kampot"
- "Tourist attraction - still primitive"
- "The beaches of Sihanoukville"
- "Jon @ 37 in Sihanoukville, Cambodia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kampong Saom
- Hotels in Kampong Saom
- Transportation in Kampong Saom
- Nightlife in Kampong Saom
- Restaurants in Kampong Saom
- Shopping in Kampong Saom
- Warnings and Dangers in Kampong Saom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kampong Saom
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kampong Saom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kampong Saom
Photos in Kampong SaomSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 41 reviews, 37 photos
- Prague Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Angkor Wat Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos, 6 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 11 reviews, 35 photos, 5 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Phnom Penh Intro, 22 reviews, 17 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krakow Intro, 9 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues