"Shetland" Shetland by ange_famine

Shetland Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 469 photos

Magical seascapes

It is said that it is impossible to come to Shetland and not be in the presence of water.
I deem it's true. The penetration of the water in the land always bring to your mind the fact that you are on an island, hundreds of miles away from any continents, and that you are walking a land filled with history, that has kept the language and traditions of a bygone era.

The island that time forgot

I lived in both Scalloway and Lerwick and I must confess I suffered from the isolation. What with renting a room, to not being able to move around easily and not being able to go to a proper bookshop or library and limited internet access (at the time)...I had a difficult time.
Yet, no matter what, I would recommend a trip to Shetland to everyone. Make it during the summer, when the weather is nice and you can take the ferry to Mousa, or in January to see the Up-Helly-Aa. Shetland is a beautiful sight, the beaches are marvellous, the seals omnipresent. The brochs and various stone circles really take you back in time!

• Pros:Beauty, Nature, light
  • Cons:Isolation, Harsh weather
  • In a nutshell:The Norse side of Scotland
  • Last visit to Shetland: Dec 2000
  • Intro Written Jul 4, 2008

Comments

ange_famine Used To Live Here!

ange_famine

“There was the Door to which I found no Key - There was the Veil through which I might not see”

Badges & Stats in Shetland

Have you been to Shetland?

Latest Activity in Shetland