"Shetland" Shetland by ange_famine
Shetland Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 479 photos
It is said that it is impossible to come to Shetland and not be in the presence of water.
I deem it's true. The penetration of the water in the land always bring to your mind the fact that you are on an island, hundreds of miles away from any continents, and that you are walking a land filled with history, that has kept the language and traditions of a bygone era.
I lived in both Scalloway and Lerwick and I must confess I suffered from the isolation. What with renting a room, to not being able to move around easily and not being able to go to a proper bookshop or library and limited internet access (at the time)...I had a difficult time.
Yet, no matter what, I would recommend a trip to Shetland to everyone. Make it during the summer, when the weather is nice and you can take the ferry to Mousa, or in January to see the Up-Helly-Aa. Shetland is a beautiful sight, the beaches are marvellous, the seals omnipresent. The brochs and various stone circles really take you back in time!
- Pros:Beauty, Nature, light
- Cons:Isolation, Harsh weather
- In a nutshell:The Norse side of Scotland
ange_famine's Related Pages
Shetland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shetland Islands - History and Nature Together"
- "Sea, sky, seals, seabirds, space and silence..."
- "The Shetland Islands"
- "Shatland - a paradise for birdwatchers and hikers"
- "Foula Isle"
- "Ponies and Sheep but no Trees"
- "shetland islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shetland
- Hotels in Shetland
- Transportation in Shetland
- Nightlife in Shetland
- Restaurants in Shetland
- Shopping in Shetland
- Warnings and Dangers in Shetland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shetland
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Shetland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shetland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 33 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glasgow Intro, 21 reviews
- Bergen 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Oslo Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Loch Ness Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oban Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Scotland Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Perth Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.