"A dream of a barren land" Scotland by ange_famine

Scotland Travel Guide: 12,834 reviews and 28,813 photos

The most ancient land on Earth

If you don't believe me, go to the Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh and watch the video that shows you how Scotland moved from the Southern hemisphere to where it is now.

The land is barren, most of the time bare and wind-swept, yet so beautiful and strength-inspiring.

I thought it a shame that most of the inhabitants of the cities should have let their blood go to sleep and that the Islanders should still be locked in their Christian traditions...that's a far cry from the pagan land of my dreams...

A country of its own

I've lived in Scotland for more than two years, I've picked up the accent, and (if money allows) I'll probably go back to finish visiting what I've missed.
Though my last experience in Glasgow was spoiled by neds and the general propensity of Scottish people to get drunk and behave like *insert body part* - - - Scotland is a great land, with a culture and a language of its own, and whose achievements in the fields of art, science and literature are greatly underestimated.

Here is a brief list of what I discovered there:

^v^I rediscovered who Robert the Bruce, St Columba and William Wallace were and what they meant for their people.
^v^ Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Frances Macdonald, along with the art merchant Alexander Reid, the collector William Burrell and the Scottish colourists
^v^I lived a Burns' Night and learnt enough of the language to appreciate poetry written in Scots...as well as the Broons!
^v^ Culzean Castle, to play being Christopher Lee in The Wickerman
^v^Marvellous places like Glencoe, Edinburgh
, Oban, Millport, Scalloway, Gourock and Stirling.

Gastronomy

Aberdeen Butteries, Caboc, Cock-A-Leekie Soup, Crowdie, Crumpets, Flapjacks, Haggis, Macaroni Pies, Neeps and Tatties, Oatcakes, Scones, Scotch Eggs, Scotch Pies, Shortbread, Tattie Scones

• Pros:Nature ! Language ! Welcoming and warm people !
  • Cons:Neds, alcohol and knife culture, capitalism
  • In a nutshell:Lighthouses over the misty moors (in more sense than one)
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2009

Comments

ange_famine Used To Live Here!

ange_famine

“There was the Door to which I found no Key - There was the Veil through which I might not see”

Badges & Stats in Scotland

Have you been to Scotland?

Latest Activity in Scotland