"The first Garden City" Letchworth by ange_famine
Letchworth Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 83 photos
Letchworth, built in 1903 by Ebenezer Howard, is the world's first Garden City. The visitor will find its streets peaceful and its architecture disturbingly European (think more Alsatian village than English countryside). Though the city is 40 kilometres only from the capital, the impression you get is one of wealth, peace and quiet, and health.
It was the ambition of Howard to create a town that would promote values such as community sense, the spirit of nature, as well as physical activity. I think any English Garden City is a stop for all those interested in Owenist theories (then go up to Scotland to visit New Lanark).
- Pros:Gardens, beauty, close to London
- Cons:Very rich, cut-off from the world
The Greenway is a 22 km path around the town, that you can join and leave at several places on the way. I've not been... more travel advice
ange_famine's Related Pages
Letchworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The first 'garden city'."
- "Letchworth - World's First Garden City"
- "The first Garden City"
- "Letchworth Garden City"
- "Letchworth "The Worlds First Garden City""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Letchworth
- Hotels in Letchworth
- Transportation in Letchworth
- Nightlife in Letchworth
- Restaurants in Letchworth
- Shopping in Letchworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Letchworth
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Letchworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Letchworth
Top 10 Pages
- Nice Intro, 33 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Glasgow Intro, 21 reviews
- Bergen 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Oslo Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Loch Ness Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Oban Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Scotland Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Perth Intro, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inverness 2 reviews, 2 photos
No friends yet.