"I got the ridin' pneumonia today" ange_famine's Profile

Sylphes

I used to spend my week-ends outdoors as a kid, going fishing in the sea or in a small countryside village in the Alpes de Haute Provence (South of France).
Our garrigues suit well the rock'n'roll music my mother used to listen to in the car when she took my on hiking tours when I was a child.
Janis Joplin screaming "Bobby McGee" in the Gorges du Verdon ; Led Zeppelin in the garrigues; Ten Years After in the first weeks of fall, when we went searching for "sanguins" mushrooms under the pines.

Borderline

What I loved when I lived in Shetland is the sense of being close to the border of the world .

The feeling that, after the marine blue line on the horizon, the water would start falling in emptiness, or into the belly of a Titan.
Such quiet; such void.
Yet such shrieking and piercing wind. Nature did not want me, there.

^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^

I've lived in Glasgow two years (2006-2008), and it was a love it AND hate it experience.

Come to Scotland for the landscapes, barren hills and the never-far-from-your-sight water (lochs, sea, firths, rivers).
Come to Glasgow for the architecture, the parks, the museums, the West End, the accent (read some of my tips about Scotland).

Here are a few of the things I loved to discover:
^v^ The Burrell Collection
^v^ The West Brewery, copied on a Venitian Palace
^v^ The work of Frances Macdonald
^v^ Scottish literature and especially poetry (thanks Luath Press)

Spain and South America

Going to Spain (Madrid region) on a school trip in Junior High was one of the best experiences of my life.
Spanish has been one of my favourite subjects since I began to study it (I spoke Castellano better than English, back then) and I would have continued at the University if life had not put me on a different path.
I'm still considering writing a book on the drawings of the Argentinian cartoonist Quino, an all-time hero of mine.
From the artistic point of view, I was pleased to tour art galleries in Europe for Greco paintings.

Siempre en la oscuridad
la voz no tiene sentido.
el silencio lo es todo.
héroe en su propio olvido.
en sus ojos apagados
de un destino.

Encerrado en el tiempo
ha perdido el valor
para escapar de su celda
el héroe sin ilusión.
en sus ojos apagados
de un destino.

En sus ojos apagados
de un destino

Héroes del Silencio - "Héroe De Leyenda"

Fishing in a new city

I have travelled in France to Lyon and Toulouse and simply adored these towns.
Actually, I've fallen in love with Toulouse and returned there. I just adore the architecture, the pink / red colour of the stones and pavement, the boiling cultural life there, the underground that takes you everywhere rapidly.

^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ^v^

My childhood place, though, is the area near Nice: Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, Villefranche, and, to a lesser extent, Monaco. Forget Elton John's villa...Nietzsche and Jean Cocteau haunted those hills!!!

I really love fishing at La pointe des Fosses, one of the edges of the Cap Ferrat.

Dreams of the North

I've been learning Norwegian for some time now because I hope to travel to Norway to settle down there.
This country calls me above all else (yet I'm having a hard time learning the language). My business trip to Shetland and the perusing of William Morris's essays gave me more acquaintance to the history of Scandinavia, as well as the work of our tremendous French specialist, Regis Boyer.

I love Californian rock, krautrock, Italian prog, French and English new wave, and Norwegian black metal. Melting pot...

Things I love from the North:
^v^ Ordet by Dreyer
^v^ Norwegian traditional costumes (especially the Telemark and Møre og Romsdal bunad)
^v^ Standing stones and memories
^v^ Revival and preservation of ancient ways of life (check Mari Boine, Wardruna, Hagalaz Runedance)
^v^ The cheese tastes like Dulce de Leche

Culinary experiences (experiments, lol)

I really enjoy food and I'm ready for new tastes.

I particularly like:

^v^ Asia: every kind of sushi, miso soup

^v^ G-B: Yorkshire puddings and dumplings, ginger biscuits, fish cooked in milk, mince pies, vanilla fudge

^v^ Alba: haggis, macaroni pies, black pudding, Scotch eggs

^v^ France: boar stew, quenelles (especially in bouchées à la reine), raclette, tartiflette, foie de volaille, cheese!, tarte au citron meringuée, quiche lorraine, coq au vin, my granny's yul log...

^v^ Italy: pizza bianchina, mozzarella and tomatoes, polenta, cheese ravioli, gnocchi,...

BEER & WINE!!! Kasteel Cru, Lambics by Lindemans (FARO!!!), Innis & Gunn, Piemonte and Australian reds, Gewürztraminer...I plan to have tasted all the different brands of lambics by the end of my life.

The Age of Bronze

I have a passion for the Age of Bronze by Rodin.

It represents a young soldier, Auguste Neyt, who is resting on his spear, wounded to death. The first title was The Vanquished. For the perfection of this sculpture, Rodin was accused of having cast the statue from life and had to take it to court to clear his name. For bronze sculptures, it is the mold that is the original piece, so it is possible to see the sculpture in several places around the world without it being a "copy".

I have seen him four times only:

^v^ In the Burrell Collection in Glasgow
^v^ In the Victoria & Albert Museum in London
^v^ In the Cheret Museum (Musee des Beaux-Arts) in Nice
^v^ In Lysverket in Bergen

Help me find all the other places where a copy is kept:

^v^ the Cantor Foundation in Los Angeles
^v^ the Rodin Museum in Paris
^v^ the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York
^v^ probably somewhere in Munich, Dusseldorf or Berlin
^v^ the Musee d'Orsay in Paris
^v^ the Cantor Art Center at Stanford University
^v^ Ottawa, San Francisco (you see him in Vertigo by Hitchcock),...

• Intro Updated Apr 12, 2009

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Belle page d'accueil. Sensibilité discrète, une pointe de nostalgie, un regard vers des horizons lointains. Cela tranche des banalités habituelles ou des ennuyeux catalogues de voyages. Comme vous j'ai beaucoup aimé Toulouse.

• TheView's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2008 at 1:26 AM

Ja der er ikke den store forskel imellem Dansk og Norsk. Norge er jo det tabte land fra Danmark. Hvorfor vil du til Norge?

• WorldMeet2008's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM

Your next trip? Make it really unique! It's not too late to attend WM08 - Jerusalem, Tel Aviv & Dead- Sea on 25- 28th Sept (+Petra 29-30th). We want to double the num of attendees to 100! Click to learn where, when, what, how, how much! Avi [FruitLover].

• KidRock's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 7:31 PM

Awesome page! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
ange_famine's Profile Photo

ange_famine

“There was the Door to which I found no Key - There was the Veil through which I might not see”

Location