"Some of my travels....." crazyman2's Profile

Welcome!

Hi!

Welcome to my homepage. I hope that you'll enjoy my travel tips too!

My wife and I live in a small house an hour from London, UK. I've lived in the beautiful town of Tunbrudge Wells since 1978.

When I'm not teaching at school I tend to be involved in sport or music.

I first travelled abroad in 1974 ---to Paris. Then in 1978 it was Yugoslavia, as it was... Since the mid 1980s I've really enjoyed visiting many countries, meeting the people, finding out a little about their culture and learning about their history. I suppose its the Arts that I find the most fascinating: from every holiday I bring back many musical instruments, memories of dance, musical performances and...of course.... too many photos!

In 2006 we managed Syria, Lebanon, France and Spain. Well, the Middle East was fantastic. The people were so friendly, the culture so inspiring...

The follwing year we visited Argentina, Uruaguay, the Falklands and Chile. Wow! What an experience!

2008? Ah, it was Central America! Yes, we managed a full transit of the canal as well as enjoying Jamaica, Aruba, Colombia, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Mexico and Guatemala before ending up in L.A.

As for 2009.... well, we were in Jordan in April and then cruised to Greece, Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine, Turkey and Italy Baltic in the Summer.
For Christmas we spent five nights on Burgh Island, South Devon. Fantastic place!

In 2010 we went to the Baltic: Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St.Petersburg, Tallin, Gdansk and then back to Copenhagen. We sailed on the Star Princess ---a bit of a come down for us because last year we were aboard the Royal Princess which was far more intimate. Never mind! We still had lots of fun! There's more of an intimate atmosphere about this ship than on the last time we were aboard her.

So, in 2011, we had a cruise to the Holy Land. The Pacific Princess, a rather tired ,smallish cruise ship took us from Athens to Patmos and then on to Turkey, Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Croatia and then to Italy. We had a few days in Venice at the end of the cruise.
Israel was interesting and Dubrovnik was enchanting. Alexandria was disappointing because there was no opportunity to spend time with local people ---well I suppose that's what happens when you're on an American ship in a possibly-hostile environment...

Now, in 2012, we 've been to Morocco and now, later in the year, we're visiting Dubai.
We're hoping to visit either Ireland or perhaps Hungary too. As always, it's all about money!

South America WOW!

In March 2007 we went to South America. It was an amazing experience!
We flew in to Buenos Aires, spent a couple of days there and then went to Uruaguay, the Falkland Islands, Argentina and then on to Chile. After a few days in Santiago we flew back to the UK.

Fave place: Ushuaia, Tiero de Fuego. The cruise along the Beagle Channel, the really hospitable people, the harbour... I felt so sad to leave that enchanting place. Enjoy my photos.

Syria & Lebanon

I went to Syria in 2006. It was a fine experience. A group of us were travelling, by coach, around the country to visit some of the many places of historical interest.

The people were friendly, the food...mmm...interesting, the sites remarkable and the accommodation mostly excellent.

A warning, though: Syrian Airways were awful. I mean really bad.

Do enjoy my Syrian photos and GO THERE!

So close to home...

Sometimes I forget the 'awe and wonder' bit of my own country. We live an hour, by train, from London. There is so much to see there! Do you know, I've never been on an open-top 'bus ride around the city! I've only been on the River Thames twice. Yet, when I'm aboad I can't wait to catch a water-tour of the area or get an overview of a place before I delve deeper.

London has so much to offer: the theatres, opera houses, the dance centres, cosmopolitan restaurants, museums and galleries....

So why do I only go up to London nine or ten times a year?

The Caribbean

I've been to many of the islands and have never found 'seen one, seen them all' to be true.

Highlights over the years:
the sugar train ride on St.Kitts
the sub dive in the AVI
the helicopter fight in the AVI
the rafting in Jamaica

Lowlights:
the 4x4 ride in Barbados
the aloe vera factory in Aruba
the rum factory in Jamaica

• Intro Updated Jul 18, 2012

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• Linse's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Happy birthsday

• CEP1863's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Wishing you a very happy birthday and a year packed with exciting travel!

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Nice meeting you in today's birthday list. Happy birthday and best wishes to you. Enjoy travelling and enjoy VTing too. Greeting from Malaysia.

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Stephen! Greetings from the north of England :)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Happy Birthday Stephen! Wish you a wonderful day!

• Nov 14, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Hi, Such wonderful photos. A friend of mine returned with curious photos from the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in Venice. She took a photo Peggy's grave marking in the garden. The photos had rainbow colors and shadows. I was wondering if you had the same experience and what was the reflection on the polished granite?

• crazyman2's Profile Photo
      Nov 15, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Hi

Thanks for your comments. You'll have to go to the Guggenheim yourself one day! It's an amazing place.
      The reflection in the granite stone is of me, the photographer! Somehow, the granite has cut me in half and put my top half under my bottom half ----as well as adding width!
      Certainly a great time to take photos in Venice is early in the morning.
      The current aqua alta is awful for the locals and the tourists. It should be interesting when the barrier is finished----next year?

crazyman2 Stephen

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM

a big hello Stephen! seen your posts so come to have a read of your home page and enjoyed the read! I was hoping to go to Syria the past few springs and it didnt happen and then sure enough the Arab spring sprung so it looks like I will have to keep relying on other VTers pages so thanks for sharing your visits there here!...reading your comment of Syria airlines being awful reminded me of Turkish airlines - they were terrible and the whole of our group seated scattered throughout the plane when got back together afterwards all said had felt to pray...like mad lol! and totally agree the UK has so much beauty and fascinating places to visit, including Tunbridge Wells! - have often found myself wondering why i am so quick to forget to get out to see here and there instead of where next in Europe!.. Luckily I did see a lot by car before the regulations here say by living here I can no longer use my Australian drivers licence but i can in every other country! Glad you got to MOrocco as thats where most of my travel money has been going the last few years!

• crazyman2's Profile Photo
      Nov 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Thanks so much for your comments. It seems crazy that you can't use your Australian driving licence. I would have thought that the Ozzie and Uk tests were more similar than the UK and... Polish ones.
      We flew Emirates to Dubai last week: great airline!
      I hope that you get to Syria one day...but it may be many years before it's safe enough to visit.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

hi from my first visit to South America - im in Chile with lovely lovely spring weather - glad to have left the rather tiresome grey and wet and cold of London!..yes well Australia is actually the same - when I moved down from Queensland to NSW its required that you change your licence to a NSW one after 6 or 12 months. but the nuisance here in London is that now I would have to start off with a provisional licence - and that would mean the end to renting cars elsewhere around the world for at least the first year after! so I just have to choose to not drive in the UK again.

• lyrick's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

thank you for the greetings...

• SOUTHAFRICANDELLA's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I will google and learn. Once again I am amazed at people being able to afford so many travels in a year. For us with our exchange rate it's just a dream or the super rich. Enjoy the travels. I will on return definitely tell you about the catacoms. I have just notice your Syria and Lebanon pages and are going to make time to read it, looks very interesting. Hope to see you in our sun shine country soon.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

well here in UK I must admit we are blessed with budget airlines and good guidebooks such as the Lonely Planet on a shoestring and the ability to nut things out so that money goes as far as possible - even if it means staying in hostels...but even with a rental car booked after shopping around prices can still be low and ive done lots of travelling this way and still spend a lot less than people going on trips for the super rich

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
crazyman2's Profile Photo

crazyman2

“ask the locals; smile from your heart”

Real Name