"Nazaré: A Stairway to Heaven" Nazaré by global84
Nazaré Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 494 photos
Nazaré is a very popular summer getaway destination, located not very far away from both Lisbon and Coimbra. From Lisbon, it takes no more than 1.5 hours to the northwest via A8, which is also connected northward to Leiria. It is a seaside town on the Atlantic Ocean, dominated by a high cliff of Sítio, where one can admire a fantastic view of what used to be a quiet and small fishing village.
In summer, the entire beach and town get filled up with people alike. However, if you come during other seasons including winter, you can enjoy the beautiful view of the town under a beautiful weather in this beautiful town. Take a walk along the seaside promenade, and stop by one of the restaurants or cafes for some regional goods. Take a furnicular upto the clifftop, and look down this pristine area.
Although it is a small coastal town in the Estremadura region located on the western side of the country, Nazaré has some fascinating points to offer.
While in town, therefore, do NOT miss the following:
- Great views of the Atlantic Ocean and the town from Sítio
- Furnicular: Have fun while going up and down the cliff
- Farol do Nazaré: You can see the quiet side of the Atlantic Ocean, located on the opposite side of the town
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora de Nazaré: The town's fantastic main church where one can admire great arrays of azulejos
- 7-Layer Dresses: In winter time, you will see some women wearing a dress with 7 layers. It is from the regional tradition, and each of them has unique decorations. It is just worth looking at them
- Small chapel at Sítio: The home to the fascitaing story of the horseman who was greatly saved by Nossa Senhora de Nazaré
If you have your own car, the fastest way to go to Nazaré from Lisbon it to take A8. Once getting off at the Valado dos Frades exit, follow the local road westward.
If you are taking a bus from the teminal at Sete Rios, it will get you off at the southern part of the town. After getting off, make a left towards the beach and follow the street. You will come directly to the town's main thoroughfare, Avenida da República.
- Pros:Great nature, great town, great ocean
- Cons:Lack of parking space
- In a nutshell:Nazaré, one place you do NOT want to miss!
Most people stop their journey Nazaré at Sítio, and do not bother to explore more of the town. Once you are above the... more travel advice
global84's Related Pages
Nazaré Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nazare - A quaint and booming seaside resort"
- "Nazaré - the typical fishing village"
- "VT BUS TOUR TO NAZARE'"
- "Quaint and wonderful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nazaré
- Hotels in Nazaré
- Transportation in Nazaré
- Restaurants in Nazaré
- Shopping in Nazaré
- Warnings and Dangers in Nazaré
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nazaré
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Nazaré?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nazaré
Photos in NazaréSee All Photos (10)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aveiro Intro, 10 reviews, 37 photos
- Silves Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Setúbal Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Seixal Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bragança Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos