"2nd richest country in Africa = ? Libya" Libya by emmet7

Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos

Tripoli

someplace I never figured I would visit but interesting nonetheless. The business visa process was relatively simple despite having to travel from HK to Beijing to get it.

Despite rumours to the contrary, clearing customs at the airport was uneventful

Tripoli was more affluent than I expected and had a well-preserved walled city with some incredibly hospitable people.

I got the impression you could travel most anywhere in Libya, most of what I read online prior to my trip made me believe everything must be by guided tour.

I believe Libya will open up in the next few years and be a beach holiday resort with some historical places to visit, desert treks etc

Leptis Magna

Had one day free from work and visited Leptis Magna, these Roman ruins were impressive with very few other tourists there.

USD 40 taxi there and back who waited 2.5 hours for us at the site. Well worth it, unique place.

local delicacies

the baked goods were excellent, the seafood was quite good and most else was the standard grilled chicken and kebabs.

• Pros:genuinely hospitable people, no other tourists, great sights
  • Cons:visa hassle, over-priced hotels, creaky infra-structure
  • In a nutshell:met some people I really liked; saw some fabulous sights
  • Last visit to Libya: Apr 2007
  • Intro Written Jun 23, 2007

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 12:42 AM

Fish head curry is one of my favs. Goat heads! Nice picture though.

• Aug 25, 2007 at 6:13 AM

Your right about Libya's potential. The rooms are nice at the Bab but way overpriced. Sabatha was great. I'm from the US and was there for a month on government business and the people couldn't have been nicer.

emmet7

“"the view never changes if you are not the 'lead dog' in the pack"”

Badges & Stats in Libya