"circled the island" Ireland by emmet7
Ireland Travel Guide: 15,531 reviews and 34,392 photos
fabulous country I really enjoyed my first visit and visited where some of my relatives came from after the famines.
I started in Dublin which was great fun, plenty of history, significant architecture and of course lots of pubs. I walked through the city to the Temple Bar and Grafton areas; up by the castle.
Good music scene, enjoyed some of the buskers and several of the 'live' acts in the pub during the evening, the food was so-so.
Ireland is not cheap but quite friendly and certainly an international place with tourist from afar and a great many immigrants from Central Europe.
Definitely a fun place!
I next drove down to Cork along the coast road for quite a distance with great scenery, then I cut over to Kilkenny which was just a beautiful old city that was quite well-developed.
Cork was a fascinating place despite being a little 'seedy' in my view. I liked the hilly topography of the city with good views and fresh breezes. The walking area in the city centre was expansive and vehicle free in several areas.
Next I went on to Galway driving up the west coast and then taking the car ferry to just below Galway which was not overly impressive, the incessant rain did not help my sightseeing activities.
The next day I drove to Belfast where you could sense and see there was a significant difference between the North and Ireland proper, the troubles have certainly not vanished.
Rich history there and more fabulous architecture but possibly even more expensive than Dublin but again a good club 'live' music scene. The castle was fairly impressive despite being small and the pubs were cool.
I returned to Dublin to catch my flight to Edinburgh, it was a good introduction to Ireland and I look forward to my next visit.
- Pros:friendly, green, great pubs, rich history
- Cons:expensive, weather rarely nice, food is so-so
- In a nutshell:look forward to my next visit
fairly good service and probably best room out of 5 nights in Ireland underground parking, wi-fi more travel advice
friendly service, decent room, but really did not like the breakfast service where the servers dished out the food 'like... more travel advice
emmet7's Related Pages
Ireland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of my favorite places in Europe"
- "Ireland - I wouldn't start from here"
- "Leprechauns Make Me Do It!!!"
- "IRELAND - The Adventure"
- "My Ireland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ireland
- Hotels in Ireland
- Transportation in Ireland
- Nightlife in Ireland
- Restaurants in Ireland
- Shopping in Ireland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ireland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ireland
- 5 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Ireland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ireland
Top 10 Pages
- Tanzania Intro, 5 reviews, 10 photos
- South Africa Intro, 10 reviews
- Libya Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Ireland Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Panama Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos
- Colombia Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Russia Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Scotland Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
Top Ireland hotels
- Dublin Hotels
- 5063 Reviews - 9248 Photos
- Galway Hotels
- 509 Reviews - 926 Photos
- Killarney Hotels
- 274 Reviews - 597 Photos
- Sligo Hotels
- 153 Reviews - 248 Photos
- Cork Hotels
- 574 Reviews - 1441 Photos
- Limerick Hotels
- 267 Reviews - 293 Photos
- Wicklow Hotels
- 79 Reviews - 234 Photos
- Kilkenny Hotels
- 288 Reviews - 593 Photos
- Kinsale Hotels
- 183 Reviews - 391 Photos
- Clifden Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 172 Photos
- Ennis Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Waterford Hotels
- 168 Reviews - 411 Photos
- Falcarragh Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 1 Photo
- Wexford Hotels
- 124 Reviews - 207 Photos
- Lough Key Forest Park Hotels
- See nearby hotels