"Zion National Park--sanctuary" Zion National Park by Segolily
Zion National Park Travel Guide: 572 reviews and 1,226 photos
I went to college in Cedar City and we would go to Zions for fun. Back then in the Spring there were very few visitors and it was like our own backyard park. Some things we did are not allowed now. I learned to love it then. Since then I've learned to love other parks as well, but Zions is my first favorite. And every time I visit I am filled with wonder and amazement at this truly special place.
Zions is not a very large park. Besides which the most accessible parts of the park are even smaller still. It is similar to Yosemite in that it is a dead end canyon surrounded by tall cliffs and mesa tops. However Zion is more intimate and colorful. Created by ancient sand dunes over 3000 ft deep the eroded cliffs of Zion reveal arches and alcoves, crossbedding and shear height.
The white Navaho Sandstone that covers most of the park is the White Cliff portion of the geologic Grand Staircase...a huge layered rock climb starting at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Because these layers of the Colorado Plateau have not warped or twisted they are easily seen in the order they were created.
The plants of Zion are just as unique. A convergence of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin and Mojave deserts meets in Zion and creates a environment where plants are diverse and several species that are found only here.
The heart of the park is this seemingly mild river. It isn't a big river as rivers go, and yet it's relentless washing away of the rock debris that has come its way over the eons of time through the occasional huge flood that will surge through it continues to do its work, gently most of the time, rolling through the main canyon.
- Pros:Unique and outstandingly beautiful
- Cons:Some might say the summer crowds
- In a nutshell:This park never fails to amaze me
This is a nice place along the road to stop and take a look at all there is to see. Located on the north side of Angel's... more travel advice
This is a favorite hike. You begin from the lodge area and cross the river. It is paved the whole way to the Lower... more travel advice
Segolily's Related Pages
Zion National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Zion National Park Page"
- "Getting High in Zion"
- "Zion National Park, One of My Favorites"
- "Fall Colours and Waterfalls at Zion NP"
- "Zion National Park"
- "Zion, such a wonderful place"
- "Zion National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zion National Park
- Hotels in Zion National Park
- Transportation in Zion National Park
- Nightlife in Zion National Park
- Restaurants in Zion National Park
- Shopping in Zion National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Zion National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sandys Parish Hotels
- Terre Haute
- Provincia de Coclé Hotels
- Simhachalam Hotels
- Krems an der Donau
- Freiburg im Breisgau
- Grahams Forge Hotels
- Necker Island Hotels
- Southport Hotels
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Bad Neustadt an der Saale
Badges & Stats in Zion National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Zion National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zion National Park
- Posted in Travel Arches National Park Forum "Re: Arches for Senior Citizens"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Human History Museum"
- Wrote a Review Big Bend in Zion National Park Things to Do
- updated a Zion National Park Travel Page "Zion National Park--sanctuary"
- Commented on one of agapotravel's Zion National Park travel pages
Photos in Zion National ParkSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos