"Gateway to the Eastern Uintas" Top 5 Page for this destination Vernal by Segolily
Vernal Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 57 photos
Most out of state visitors will come to Vernal to see the Dinosaurs. Dinosaur National Monument where so many of the first dinosaurs were discovered and sent away to museums back east is nearby. There is a great Utah State Park in the Field House Museum in Vernal which in many ways is better than the Monument's. However at the Monument you can see the bones in situ and there is something great about that as well. (The visitors center there is currently closed due to structural damage. Stimulus dollars may allow it to reopen soon). Dinosaurs mean geology and Vernal has buckets full. Pick up a "Drive through the Ages" pamphlet at almost any place in town and you can explore the earth's history as you drive north through the rock layers where it is exposed.
They also have other great drives to explore and visit this corner of the state:
The Uintas mean sports. Fishing in the many reservoirs and rivers and streams; hunting deer, elk and trophy game; hiking and backpacking in designated Wilderness, camping; horseback riding; birdwatching; RV'ing; boating in Flaming Gorge, rafting and whitewater adventures on the Green and Yampa Rivers; ATV'ing and 4 wheeling; rock climbing; snowmobiling. What is even better is that because the Eastern Uintas are fairly isolated from major population centers you will find fewer crowds, more wildlife opportunities, and solitude more easily than in the Western sections.
From the early human to modern cowboys there is much to explore in human history both recent and distant past. The early Fremont culture is present in places around Vernal. Great petroglyphs of the Classic Vernal style can be seen just north of town. Not too far away are the petroglyphs of Nine Mile Canyon.
More recently the area has been inhabited by the Northern Ute and Shoshone Tribes. The Uintah and Ouray Tribal Reservation is second largest reservation in size in the US. It covers most of the Uintah Basin with headquarters in Ft Duchesne.
Later came the fur trappers, among them William Ashley for whom the valley was named. He floated down the Green River in 1825. Other settlers began to drift in during the 1870's and in 1878 Jeremiah Hatch brought in his family and friends and the town began to be permanent. Evidence of old ranches and pioneering can be found throughout the area.
- Pros:Small Town America
- Cons:Not really on the road to anywhere
- In a nutshell:A good base for many different activities
Green River Outfitters and Trout Creek Flies is THE place for fly fishing, fishing and rafting trips, guides, rentals... more travel advice
This is really just an old fishing lodge on the shores of Spirit Lake. It can boast an elevation of 10,000 ft above... more travel advice
Segolily's Related Pages
Vernal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vernal, Utah - My hometown"
- "Vernal, Utah - gateway to Dinosaur Natl Park"
- "Roeffie's Dinosaur Page"
- "Gateway to Dinosaurs"
- "Gateway to the Eastern Uintas"
- "It's Dino-tastic!"
- "Tulin's new Vernal Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vernal
- Hotels in Vernal
- Transportation in Vernal
- Nightlife in Vernal
- Restaurants in Vernal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vernal
- 10 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Vernal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vernal
- Posted in Travel Zion National Park Forum "Re: Itinerary help needed"
- Commented on one of Segolily's Vernal travel pages
- updated a Vernal Travel Page "Gateway to the Eastern Uintas"
- Wrote a Review Your best and only supply store in Vernal Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Your best and only supply store"
Photos in VernalSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos