"My Home Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City by Segolily

Salt Lake City Travel Guide: 524 reviews and 1,255 photos

Things I love about Salt Lake City

<<<I'm in the process of updating this page and tips, some of it is not complete, but I wanted to include some things I want to share, but keep forgetting about. So hope you can still enjoy what's here. It is an ongoing process for me, kind of slow. But it will get done.>>>

First I love the mountains.
We are in a valley, with the Wasatch mountains on the east and the Oquirrh mountains on the west. The flat valley floor was created over 14,000 years ago by the huge Lake Bonneville.

Rising four or five thousand feet from the valley floor the mountains are one of the first things that every new visitor comments about.
One visitor asked me, "I suppose you take the mountains for granted."
I can't speak for the rest of the residents, but for me, "No".
I love to watch their varying moods;
when the setting sun shines on the peak of the snowcovered Lone Peak turning it into gold, or when the stormclouds brew over the Oquirrhs,
or when the changing leaves turn them into a tapestry- they make me smile.
Within fifteen minutes from my home I can be on a trail into a wilderness area in the summer or on the slopes in the winter.
I am proud of the Wasatch range, they are world class mountains.

Number two are the sunsets.
In the summer the sun sets over the Great Salt Lake.
Not every night, but often enough it is like someone paints the quintessential Western scene.
The colors are incredible and when you can see the reflection of the islands off the lake you know it is good. Truly wonderful.

Number three the compact size
Salt Lake is not a big city. Six city blocks about covers the downtown area.
The surrounding valley towns make it a larger metropolitan area, but the city feels intimate and easy to know.

Salt Lake is a young city begun a little over 150 years ago. It was settled by Mormon pioneers beginning in 1847. Until then not much but valley summer grass, sagebrush, deer and elk occupied the valley. Five first american tribes inhabited (and still do) what later became Utah. However they did not frequent the Salt Lake Valley. Shortly after the original pioneers arrived others on their way to California and Oregon began to travel through. Some stayed.

Salt Lake is the headquarters for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or Mormons. Known locally as "the church" its presence is a fact of life here and creates interesting dynamics and subtle tug of wars with words and philosophies.

Essential SLC
Salt Lake is the crossroads and center of the Intermountain West (that area between the Rockies and the Sierras) in many ways.

Living here can be much like being on an island. The nearest cities in any direction are all over 350 miles away. Plus it isn't like there is anything much in between any of those cities either except desert and plateau and red rock canyons and mountains. The isolation was preferred by the early Mormons who had been burned and killed and kicked out of 6 earlier settlements.

Until 20 years ago getting out of town meant going camping. Now at least Park City and St George (and if you insist- Wendover) are viable options.

For the top universities, medical leadership, commercial entities, sports, communications and travel connections, (to quote Brigham Young) "This is the place".

In the shadow of the mountains

Discussed further in my "Things to do" tips are some of the distinctive neighborhoods in the city. They are as follows:

First is Downtown, This is the heart of the city.

Next is Capitol Hill
Up the hill at the head of State Street and surrounding the State Capitol.

East of Capitol Hill and separated from it by Memory Grove and City Creek Canyon is the area known as the Avenues.. Mostly residential. This area was built on the hills and as such has smaller blocks and narrower streets than the rest of the valley.

Neighborhoods Continued

The University of Utah and the area surrounding it has its own distinct character.

Back down in the valley there are a couple other areas that are notable.
First is what is known as 9th and 9th. Located at the intersection of 9th east and 9th south, including Liberty Park and Trolley Square.

Another very small area is 15th and 15th (15th So and 15th E). This is in a residential area and you might miss it if you blink.

Further south is Sugarhouse. This was built around an old sugar mill back in the 1800's.

And last but not least is the Foothill Area. Centered around the Foothill Village shopping center.

Salt Lake also refers to the entire valley as well as the county.

All my "Things to Do" will be located in the City proper. Anything outside the city limits will be in "Off the Beaten Paths".

Hope you enjoy visiting my home town.

• Pros:A gateway to so much of Utah
  • Cons:Some people seem to think there are
  • In a nutshell:It is still a nice place to raise a family
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for your detailed and interesting travel story!~

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Howdy! Oh, you live in a magnificent city. With all those beautiful mountains and Antelope Island is a beauty. I enjoyed the historic downtown area so much. So much contrast there, I am sure it makes for interesting living there. You have lovely pages!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Your "fry sauce" exclusive will be sought out when my wife and I visit SLC in June. Looking forward to seeing SLC after 56 years. lol

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Yep, fry sauce is ONLY available in Utah. No one anyplace else has ever heard of it...just like Pepperoni rolls are pretty much a West Virginia thing only. I miss fry sauce!

Segolily Lives Here!

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in Salt Lake City

Have you been to Salt Lake City?

Latest Activity in Salt Lake City