"Explore the prehistoric past" Fremont Indian State Park by Segolily
Fremont Indian State Park Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 10 photos
The Fremont Indians were a non-homogenous people who inhabited the northern and central areas of Utah between 400AD to 1300AD. They overlapped the Anasazi who lived in the southern and southeastern areas of Utah around the same time. Their distinct culture was first recognized as different from the Anasazi in 1928 in the area near the Fremont River in Capitol Reef. (The Fremont River had been named for explorer John C Fremont).
They were mostly a hunter-gatherer people with some agriculture of corn and beans.
The Fremont of Clear Creek Canyon lived in a large community on Five Finger Ridge. In the 1980's while Interstate 70 was being built Marvin Magleby was concerned about the possible destruction of prehistoric sites. He had been shown these sites as a child growing up in the canyon. He led archeologists to the village area. Before the highway could be completed and the area destroyed archeologists were able to excavate and document the many artifacts which were found.
All the artifacts found are either on display at the museum or kept there.
There are many other places in the state to learn about and see the Fremont Indian. Capitol Reef where the recognition first began. Nine Mile Canyon near Price has thousands of petroglyphs. Range Creek Canyon a newly opened- though with limited access area- which has been in private hands and kept pristinely.
There are even evidences the Fremont lived in the Salt Lake City area. There is currently a hot debate between UTA who wants to build a Front Runner commuter train station on what has been recognized as an ancient indian dwelling spot.
The ATV Paiute trail is extensive. Over 275 miles of trails through the mountains. Central to the trail is Marysvale.... more travel advice
Segolily's Related Pages
Fremont Indian State Park Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Fremont Indian State Park
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Fremont Indian State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fremont Indian State Park
Photos in Fremont Indian State ParkSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos