"The place I first saw the ocean" Seaside by Segolily

Seaside Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 161 photos

The feeling was the same

Being fairly young on my first visit to the Northwest I had vague recollections of walking around the corner of the motor inn where we were staying and seeing for the first time a beach and the ocean. I remember walking on the long wide flat sand beach to put my feet in the water of the Pacific Ocean. It was an important event for me at the time. I remember thinking where are the waves? :-) These waves were nothing like the waves I had seen the surfers on TV ride. But still I looked out across that wide blue horizon to the point where the sea and the sky meet and felt the immensity.

Would I remember?

I wondered as we drove through town how my memory would intersect with the present. I have no idea if the little motel was still there, but I recognized the turnaround. It was with some sense of deja vu that I walked down the steps and out onto the sand across the wide flat beach and let the waves roll over my feet.

A thought

I believe in ghosts of place....that we leave some essence of ourselves in places which made an impact on us. And when years later we return, even though we ourselves have changed that part of us left behind recognizes us and pulls us back a little to that earlier time.
This place did that to me...I could feel that earlier me walk along side of me and also put her feet in the warm Pacific waters again.

• Last visit to Seaside: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2012

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM

No rain,,, beautiful clear skies - great weather the whole trip.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM

And it looks like you visited Seaside on one of the few days it wasn't raining ;-]

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in Seaside

Have you been to Seaside?

Latest Activity in Seaside