"So much more than just a fort" Fort Clatsop National Memorial by Segolily

A life long hope

I don't know when I first heard about the winter waypoint of the Lewis and Clark expedition, but I bet it was in that biography of Sacagawea I read in fourth grade. In an article I read years later about Astoria I learned there had been a reconstruction of the fort but it had burned. Then when the 200th year anniversary of the expedition began, expanding year by year along the trail path I read the journals, I read the books, hoped the fort would be rebuilt and I knew the time was getting closer to when I would have to make the journey myself. Fort Clatsop was a prime motivator for us taking our northwest vacation.

Part of the National Historical Park

I was grateful for the combination of all 12 of the various nearby Lewis and Clark sites as a unified group. It helped us to know of and find various other places which otherwise we may not have known about. This and the other sites we visited enriched our understanding of the expedition's time in the area and made it all so much more real.
We also saw the Dismal Nitch, Station Camp, the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center at Cape Disappointment, the boardwalk in Long Beach where the corps' furthest north point is commemorated and the actual site of the Salt Works in Seaside.

Their legacy is a National one

On earlier trips we had visited the St Louis Arch where the expedition officially began, seen the fort near Bismark ND where they spent the first winter, traveled by the only physical proof of their passing at Pompey's Pillar in Montana. Without the ending here at the ocean the journey and our perception of the trail was not complete.

This fort is part of both the Lewis and CLark National Trail and the Lewis and Clark Historical Park

• Pros:Lots of good historical information
  • Last visit to Fort Clatsop National Memorial: Sep 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 28, 2009

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in Fort Clatsop National Memorial

Have you been to Fort Clatsop National Memorial?