Astoria Off The Beaten Path Tips by Segolily
Astoria Off The Beaten Path: 7 reviews and 10 photos
Bow of the Peter Iredale
On the same long and wide sandy beach where people lay out, kite surf and build sand castles is the rusting iron hulk of a shipwrecked vessel- the Peter Iredale. It ran aground in 1906 while attempting to enter the Columbia river at night in the mist and has lain there ever since.
It was built in 1890 in England and sold for scrap. It is a wonderful monument to the difficulties of ships to navigate the treacherous mouth of the Columbia whose waters when mingling with the ocean without a delta create a bar of sand, large waves and back currents. This portion of the "graveyard of the Pacific" has claimed over 2000 ships.
More Reviews (3)
Segolily's Related Pages
Astoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oldest American Settlement West of the Rockies"
- "Now a Major Tourist Town"
- "ASTORIA - FIRST IN OREGON"
- "See the urban sea lions!"
- "Cruise Stop: Astoria"
- "Great History and Fun at the Oregon Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Astoria
- Hotels in Astoria
- Transportation in Astoria
- Restaurants in Astoria
- Shopping in Astoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Astoria
- See All...
Explore the World
- Puerto Nuevo Hotels
- Hellnar Hotels
- San Pedro Hotels
- Fukui-ken Hotels
- Old Wives Lake
- Schwäbisch Hall
- Three Rivers
- Malgrat de Mar Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia City
- Calasetta Off The Beaten Path
- Ulcinj Off The Beaten Path
- Markets and Street Scenes
- Vilnius Off The Beaten Path
- Chichester Off The Beaten Path
- Beyond the Highway
- Nara City
- HAIGHT District / Ashbury
- Corpus Christi Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Astoria
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Astoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Astoria
- Posted in Travel Moab Forum "Re: what's the best tour to take..."
- Commented on one of Segolily's Astoria travel pages
- Wrote a Review Peter Iredale wreck in Astoria Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Astoria Travel Page "The town that put the US on the Pacific coast"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The town that put the US on the Pacific coast"
Photos in AstoriaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Latest Astoria hotel reviews
- Cannery Pier Hotel
- 593 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites
- 359 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Commodore Hotel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Clementine's Bed & Breakfast
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- HideAway Inn and Hostel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Red Lion Inn Astoria
- 1 Review & Opinion