"A week in San Rafael" Top 5 Page for this destination San Rafael by Segolily

San Rafael Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 346 photos

A relaxing getaway

I recently spent a week visiting a friend in San Rafael. I came away with wonderful memories and amazing new insights into Marin County and all there is to see here. While it is hidden in the shadow of its bigger city to the South I was impressed with the warmth and beauty and amazing variety of experiences to be had here.

Variety

There were so many different ways to spend our time. We started off with history at China camp. It was hard to imagine this place ever being remote, but it was. The street market was fun. Then there were the gun batteries and Lighthouses at Marin Headlands park and Point Reyes. The only public building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright to be built is hard to miss and an architectural must see. Then there were the nature preserves such as Muir Woods and the Tule Elk preserve. The towns of Tiburon and Sausolito were fun to visit. Taking a ferry to San Francisco gave me a chance to enjoy the beautiful Bay. Not least of my visit was sitting out on her back porch to feel the warm California sun

It was just a great place to visit and a good home base from which to see the surrounding areas.

• Pros:good location, lots to do, easy accessibility
  • Cons:I couldn't stay longer
  • In a nutshell:The other end of San Francisco Bay
  • Last visit to San Rafael: Sep 2006
  • Intro Written Oct 28, 2006

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 3:18 AM

I did enjoy this great little page and just found the place on my Bay Map! It looks my kind of place. Thanks for the tour and the informative tips.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Nice peek at San Rafael. A beloved friend of mine lives there, such a beautiful part of the world.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Nice tips on a beautiful region. I used to visit Marin County sometimes when I lived in Berkeley, but that was a long time ago.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 9:54 AM

Bon début. Très précis et Documenté. Good start. Thanks for the Belgian waffles!

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in San Rafael

Have you been to San Rafael?

Latest Activity in San Rafael