"Bastogne Battlefields" Top 5 Page for this destination Bastogne by Segolily
Bastogne Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 182 photos
We were following the path of General Patton and the Third Army across France. George Patton has his defenders and those who feel he was a loose cannon. But the Battle of the Bulge was his shining moment and his actions here and his army's ability to reopen the supply line to a besieged Bastogne may have redeemed him and helped to cement his place as one of the top generals ever.
The Battle of the Bulge took place in several places around the town. We concentrated on those in which the Third Army was involved. From Amazon.com we purchased and used the book "The 25 best World War II Sites, European Theater" by Chuck Thompson as our guide. This was an invaluable help in allowing us to get the most out of our visit. Especially here in Bastogne as it guided us to little known spots around the town where there were small monuments to the events of the winter of 1944/45.
- Pros:A must for full understanding of U.S. role in WWII
- Cons:A long way from the Normandy landing sites
- In a nutshell:Hard not be be impressed
We chose the Hotel Giorgi for the location and the price. It was just around the corner from Place McAuliffe. They have... more travel advice
This was a great museum, a little on the small side, but with lots going for it. We tried to pick and chose museums that... more travel advice
Segolily's Related Pages
Bastogne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bastogne Battlefields"
- "The Battle of the Bulge"
- "MATIM's new Bastogne Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bastogne
- Hotels in Bastogne
- Transportation in Bastogne
- Restaurants in Bastogne
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bastogne
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Bastogne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bastogne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos