"The Full and Complete Story" Top 5 Page for this destination Utah by Segolily
Utah Travel Guide: 5,578 reviews and 14,916 photos
The story of Utah begins with geology, the Moenkopi, Wingate and Navaho sandstone among others that make up the rocks of the Colorado Plateau. It is the Green and Colorado rivers that carved the incredible canyons of the south. It is ancient Lake Bonneville that created the flat valleys and left the Great Salt Lake. Utah's story continues with dinosaurs, mammoths, trilobites, petrified trees and more that flourished here an eon ago and are found through out the state. Then there were the ancient people, those of the Barrier Canyon and more recent Fremont and Anasazi cultures that left petroglyphs, pictographs, graineries, kivas, and pueblos and questions for us to ponder. It is the story of the Ute, Paiute, Goshute, Shoshoni and Navaho Indian tribes, current residents who struggle for a place in their native land. Utah's story finally reaches the near past with the mountain men and pioneers who tamed the land and dug the ore, irrigated the soils, built temples and homes, cities and towns where no one had lived before. Currently Utah is still about farming, and ranching, but also about medical research and expertise, Universities, computer technology, the arts, sports, and tourism.
I've noticed that most of the Utah pages only mention Southern Utah, and even then they are mostly limited to Zion's, Bryce and Arches/Moab. There is much more to Utah than that. Since this is where I grew up and continue to live I have decided to give you MY Utah. The Utah I have known, the Utah I love, the people and places that I keep going back to. So what follows is partly nostalgia and partly a welcoming hand to introduce you to the diversity and beauty of Utah.
This will be done gradually, a little at a time as I have time and inclination. So check back later for updates and new info. The restaurants I add will be classic Utah locals hang outs. For the most part they will not be fancy.
I have not been able to eat here yet since I seem to only get up there the days they are closed (don't show up on... more travel advice
Check out the elk at Hardware Ranch. Much like the more famous elk winter feeding program in Jackson Hole, the Hardware... more travel advice
Segolily's Related Pages
Utah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Full and Complete Story"
- "Utah - Red Rock Country."
- "Many Treasures of Utah!"
- "Road trip heaven"
- "Utopian Utah"
- "Red Rock Heaven"
- "8 Days Through Southern Utah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Utah
- Hotels in Utah
- Transportation in Utah
- Nightlife in Utah
- Restaurants in Utah
- Shopping in Utah
- Warnings and Dangers in Utah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Utah
- 297 Reviews
- 642 Photos
- 293 Forum posts
- 21 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Utah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Utah
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos