"The Full and Complete Story" Top 5 Page for this destination Utah by Segolily

Utah Travel Guide: 5,442 reviews and 14,414 photos

Where do you start?

The story of Utah begins with geology, the Moenkopi, Wingate and Navaho sandstone among others that make up the rocks of the Colorado Plateau. It is the Green and Colorado rivers that carved the incredible canyons of the south. It is ancient Lake Bonneville that created the flat valleys and left the Great Salt Lake. Utah's story continues with dinosaurs, mammoths, trilobites, petrified trees and more that flourished here an eon ago and are found through out the state. Then there were the ancient people, those of the Barrier Canyon and more recent Fremont and Anasazi cultures that left petroglyphs, pictographs, graineries, kivas, and pueblos and questions for us to ponder. It is the story of the Ute, Paiute, Goshute, Shoshoni and Navaho Indian tribes, current residents who struggle for a place in their native land. Utah's story finally reaches the near past with the mountain men and pioneers who tamed the land and dug the ore, irrigated the soils, built temples and homes, cities and towns where no one had lived before. Currently Utah is still about farming, and ranching, but also about medical research and expertise, Universities, computer technology, the arts, sports, and tourism.

It is my Home

I've noticed that most of the Utah pages only mention Southern Utah, and even then they are mostly limited to Zion's, Bryce and Arches/Moab. There is much more to Utah than that. Since this is where I grew up and continue to live I have decided to give you MY Utah. The Utah I have known, the Utah I love, the people and places that I keep going back to. So what follows is partly nostalgia and partly a welcoming hand to introduce you to the diversity and beauty of Utah.

A continuing project

This will be done gradually, a little at a time as I have time and inclination. So check back later for updates and new info. The restaurants I add will be classic Utah locals hang outs. For the most part they will not be fancy.

• Last visit to Utah: Nov 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 6, 2009

• Bavavia's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I love your State, Utah is the most beautiful state i have visited... the views and the mountains. and the canyons.. its a very special place, i love it,!

• Segolily's Profile Photo
      Nov 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Ottosens, not sure which of us your reply was directed to. But we were talking the states, not the world. And I have been to Ottawa, used to live in Montreal. Beautiful country. Turkey has been on my list for 50 years, but unless I get rich soon I don't think I'll be able to get there.

• Ottosens's Profile Photo
      Dec 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM

:-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Me again, just stopping by to have a look at the many new tips and updates that you have added to this page since 2009. I never would have thought there were so many different varieties of birds in Utah. Eloquent tips on your home state!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 1:43 PM

YOu have done a wonderful job of showing such a nice landscape. I hope to get to SAn Raphael yet and Green River. YOu have nice pictures and good comments of that great state. I used to get to SLC (8 times)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Lots of nice tips on a fascinating State. The Byways of Utah are a great way to really see the State, too.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I was wondering what the "Tree of Utah" was when we passed it. Thanks! We didn't get a chance to do the White Rim trail...on the agenda for next September. Can't wait.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Thnkx so much for visiting my pages++ of Los Barriles and advising that I was a Featured Member!! I wouldn't have known otherwise.....Some vry beautiful photos and lots of special info here. Our new daughter-in-law is fr SLC.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Utah - One of the beautiful places.

• xdescendx's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Nice tips, but I think you're missing the skiing ;) One day I'll make it out there. You live in a beautiful state, any season!

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 9:22 AM

great tips thanx

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2007 at 8:22 AM

what a marvellous page - the last time i saw a slot canyon like that was in Venice

Segolily Lives Here!

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in Utah