Oregon Hotel Tips by Segolily
Oregon Hotels: 62 reviews and 77 photos
The morning sun through the trees
I was expecting sand dunes and got a forest. This wonderful campground hidden in the trees just west of the sand dunes was a surprise. The campsites were spaced far enough apart to be private, there were campfires galore as everyone roasted marshmallows and talked over the day. If you didn't bring your own wood there was some to buy from the campground hosts. There are lakes to play on as well so there is plenty to do here. It might have been here where we took the walk to the dunes overlook trail.
There is direct access to the dunes for vehicles from one section of the campground. I took a short hike up and over one tree covered dune to where the ocean was visible a couple miles away.
We had come into this campground late on a Saturday night in Sept. and had no trouble finding a spot.
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Just south of Florence.
Price: less than US$20
We drove without advance reservations since we had no idea how far we would get on our trip down the coast. I was hoping to get further, but the coast is just so dang amazing that it was getting dark when we arrived at Newport. It didn't look like we would make it to Beachside. So we went to South Beach. The entrance on the highway said the campground was full. There was another sign saying the campground was full. We still went in and asked if there was room for a tent. Apparently he still had one small site left where we could fit our tent.
Considering that we didn't have a reservation, that we were coming in late in the day, considering that we got the last place left, considering if we didn't camp here we really didn't have a back up plan, I should not have had any complaints about the campground. But I would not willingly come back to this campground. Maybe if I was coming with a group and I could reserve an end or a bend where we could be together then it wouldn't seem as crowded. But I felt like the sites were very close together with little room to move. I'm sure it didn't help that we were on the corner of the children's play area. Some sites here are definitely better than others. Get the ones on the outside of the far bend.
The walk out to the beach was nice. It would be a fun place to stay with kids and play on the beach etc.
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Just south of Newport, turn west at the sign
Price: less than US$20
More Reviews (36)
Segolily's Related Pages
Oregon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon is Home"
- "Oregon, the most beautiful state"
- "Oregon: A Treasure Often Overlooked"
- "Famous for Rain, but That's Only Part of the Story"
- "Welcome to Oregon State"
- "Oregon: End of the Frontier"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oregon
- Hotels in Oregon
- Transportation in Oregon
- Nightlife in Oregon
- Restaurants in Oregon
- Shopping in Oregon
- Warnings and Dangers in Oregon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oregon
- 71 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (40)
Have you been to Oregon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oregon
Read real reviews about Oregon Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos