Oregon Hotel Tips by Segolily

Oregon Hotels: 62 reviews and 77 photos

The morning sun through the trees - Oregon

The morning sun through the trees

Jesse Honeyman Campground: A beautiful place

I was expecting sand dunes and got a forest. This wonderful campground hidden in the trees just west of the sand dunes was a surprise. The campsites were spaced far enough apart to be private, there were campfires galore as everyone roasted marshmallows and talked over the day. If you didn't bring your own wood there was some to buy from the campground hosts. There are lakes to play on as well so there is plenty to do here. It might have been here where we took the walk to the dunes overlook trail.

There is direct access to the dunes for vehicles from one section of the campground. I took a short hike up and over one tree covered dune to where the ocean was visible a couple miles away.

We had come into this campground late on a Saturday night in Sept. and had no trouble finding a spot.

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: Just south of Florence.

Price: less than US$20

Theme: Campground

Website: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_134.php

• Updated Jul 9, 2010
The beach - Oregon

The beach

South Beach Campground: Packed and crowded

We drove without advance reservations since we had no idea how far we would get on our trip down the coast. I was hoping to get further, but the coast is just so dang amazing that it was getting dark when we arrived at Newport. It didn't look like we would make it to Beachside. So we went to South Beach. The entrance on the highway said the campground was full. There was another sign saying the campground was full. We still went in and asked if there was room for a tent. Apparently he still had one small site left where we could fit our tent.

Considering that we didn't have a reservation, that we were coming in late in the day, considering that we got the last place left, considering if we didn't camp here we really didn't have a back up plan, I should not have had any complaints about the campground. But I would not willingly come back to this campground. Maybe if I was coming with a group and I could reserve an end or a bend where we could be together then it wouldn't seem as crowded. But I felt like the sites were very close together with little room to move. I'm sure it didn't help that we were on the corner of the children's play area. Some sites here are definitely better than others. Get the ones on the outside of the far bend.

The walk out to the beach was nice. It would be a fun place to stay with kids and play on the beach etc.

Comparison: about average

Directions: Just south of Newport, turn west at the sign

Price: less than US$20

Theme: Campground

Website: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_209.php

• Updated Jun 6, 2010

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in Oregon

Have you been to Oregon?

Latest Activity in Oregon

Visiting Oregon?
Read real reviews about Oregon Hotels!