"World War Two battlefields" Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie by Segolily
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,677 reviews and 5,329 photos
Our whole purpose in going to France was to follow the path Patton's Third Army took in WWII. General George Patton is my son's hero and we went in search of vestiges of him across France and Europe. We vaguely followed "La Voie de la Liberte", the route marked by historians and current markers or bournes, as the one Patton's Army took across France and Belgium. We visited many other sites as well and didn't follow La Voie de la Liberte exactly. But it gave a focus and purpose to our trip. There was so much more to see than we could cover in the limited time we had. We didn't get to Mortain, an important American win, we missed many museums, etc. but what we saw was amazing, informative and interesting.
I have delayed in putting in many of these tips, not knowing how to do it. Though I have posted some in individual cities of Basse-Normandie, I decided to group the military sites together here. Other VT members have covered them as well, I'm just sharing our experiences.
We began our tour in Vimoutiers, which really is at the end of the battle of Normandy, but I will put my entries in order beginning with the Peace Museum in Caen and then the beaches from East to West and then heading South to where the Third Army began their march before heading east again toward Paris.
We had a car and spent essentially four days seeing the places here and felt a bit rushed (couldn't see all the museums mostly). We started early in the day, ate at patisseries and boulangeries to save time and used all our daylight hours going till sunset, which was around 10:30pm in June. So if you want a more leisurely experience you'd need a lot more time. The sites were all easy to find once you were on the right roads because there are well placed signs guiding the way. We also used a very good Michelin map.
I found this website too late to really explore all it had to offer. It is the online version of brochures that are available from many of the sites listed on it. If you want a thorough understanding of places to visit this website will get you there fastest: The Guide.
- Pros:A wonderful section of France, I loved the backroads here
- Cons:Too much to see in too little time for us.
- In a nutshell:So much to see that has no connection to the battlefields
We stumbled on this while searching for the main beach access. Perhaps there was a sign pointing the way. Behind the... more travel advice
This is a battlefield few people come to see when compared to the beaches of Normandy. We were impressed with the... more travel advice
Segolily's Related Pages
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World War Two battlefields"
- "Normandy, a turbulent piece of Europa"
- "Islands, Tapestrys, Beaches & History"
- "The D-Day Beaches and Museums"
- "On and Off the Road in Normandie"
- "From the Vikings to the D-Day"
- "The D-Day Landing Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basse-Normandie
- Hotels in Basse-Normandie
- Transportation in Basse-Normandie
- Nightlife in Basse-Normandie
- Restaurants in Basse-Normandie
- Shopping in Basse-Normandie
- Warnings and Dangers in Basse-Normandie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie
- 36 Reviews
- 92 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Basse-Normandie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basse-Normandie
- Posted in Travel Moab Forum "Re: what's the best tour to take..."
- Commented on one of Segolily's Basse-Normandie travel pages
- updated a Basse-Normandie Travel Page "World War Two battlefields"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sainte Mere Eglise"
- Wrote a Review Omaha gun battery & 2nd Infantry Division Memorial in Basse-Normandie Things to Do
Photos in Basse-NormandieSee All Photos (92)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Top Basse-Normandie hotels
- Caen Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 374 Photos
- Bayeux Hotels
- 189 Reviews - 558 Photos
- Cherbourg Hotels
- 86 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Honfleur Hotels
- 132 Reviews - 452 Photos
- Mont Saint Michel Hotels
- 302 Reviews - 985 Photos
- Deauville-les-Bains Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Vierville-sur-Mer Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Courseulles-sur-Mer Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Lisieux Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Villers-sur-Mer Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Villedieu-les-Poëles Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Vessey Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Vergoncey Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Valognes Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Trouville-sur-Mer Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 19 Photos