"World War Two battlefields" Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie by Segolily

Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,710 reviews and 5,461 photos

La Voie de la Liberte

Our whole purpose in going to France was to follow the path Patton's Third Army took in WWII. General George Patton is my son's hero and we went in search of vestiges of him across France and Europe. We vaguely followed "La Voie de la Liberte", the route marked by historians and current markers or bournes, as the one Patton's Army took across France and Belgium. We visited many other sites as well and didn't follow La Voie de la Liberte exactly. But it gave a focus and purpose to our trip. There was so much more to see than we could cover in the limited time we had. We didn't get to Mortain, an important American win, we missed many museums, etc. but what we saw was amazing, informative and interesting.

I have delayed in putting in many of these tips, not knowing how to do it. Though I have posted some in individual cities of Basse-Normandie, I decided to group the military sites together here. Other VT members have covered them as well, I'm just sharing our experiences.

We began our tour in Vimoutiers, which really is at the end of the battle of Normandy, but I will put my entries in order beginning with the Peace Museum in Caen and then the beaches from East to West and then heading South to where the Third Army began their march before heading east again toward Paris.

We had a car and spent essentially four days seeing the places here and felt a bit rushed (couldn't see all the museums mostly). We started early in the day, ate at patisseries and boulangeries to save time and used all our daylight hours going till sunset, which was around 10:30pm in June. So if you want a more leisurely experience you'd need a lot more time. The sites were all easy to find once you were on the right roads because there are well placed signs guiding the way. We also used a very good Michelin map.

I found this website too late to really explore all it had to offer. It is the online version of brochures that are available from many of the sites listed on it. If you want a thorough understanding of places to visit this website will get you there fastest: The Guide.

• Pros:A wonderful section of France, I loved the backroads here
  • Cons:Too much to see in too little time for us.
  • In a nutshell:So much to see that has no connection to the battlefields
  • Last visit to Basse-Normandie: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 10, 2009

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Nice tips!

• Segolily's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 8:43 PM

pfsmalo: We tried so hard to fit St Malo into our journey, but just couldn't do it. Someday I hope to get there. I didn't realize there would be bornes there as well, though of course I knew his army split and some headed west.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Nice pages Sego, of the effort put in by these men, and a nice tribute to them. In my little village here we have a couple of the kilometre "bornes" as after Normandy, part of Patton's army came through here to liberate St. Malo.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Excellent tips. There is certainly a lot we have to be thankfull for in Normandy. All the best from the UK

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Great tips on all the memorials. Many only post the major attractions but you posted much more than that!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Here for a 2nd look - looking forward to a Real return visit to these parts next week.Been keeping busy catching up on neglected pages, Thanks so much for your nice greetings.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2008 at 8:00 PM

What a poignant page - I was completely silenced when we visited this place. Marcia

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM

Very nicely done. I hope people notice there are TWO pages of Tips. Lots of info here! We saw the American Cemetery on a rainy day with a double rainbow. Stunning!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2008 at 11:38 PM

I was taken there as a child and don't remember much, probably I was too young. So reading your pages was very interesting.

Segolily

“Till I swim in every ocean...”

Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie

Have you been to Basse-Normandie?