Saumur Hotel Tips by Segolily Top 5 Page for this destination
Saumur Hotels: 1,399 reviews and 10 photos
The Prieure St Lazare
There are so many lodging options in this area but I couldn't resist the opportunity to stay at an old abbaye. The Prieure St. Lazare is somewhat away from the other buildings as this is where the lepers were housed. It had its own chapel and cloister which now hold conferances and an upscale dining room. The hotel was very nice with modern fixtures, good quality furnishings, and an attitude which spoke of exclusivity. The part I enjoyed the most however was the opportunity to walk the grounds after hours. The buildings are the light tuffa rock and covered with roses and wisteria. I could feel history seep from the ground as the sun set and the soft light of evening settled in. The most influential woman of her time, Elinor of Aquitaine spent her last years here and is buried along with her English King husband Henry II and their son King Richard the Lion Hearted (whose heart is in the Cathedral in Rouen). To understand English history this place is essential.
Unique Qualities: The award winning dining room was booked the night we arrived. Make reservations in advance. There is a secure car park available. There is also an elevator.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Within the grounds of the historic Abbabye Royale Fontevraud
More Reviews (5)
Segolily's Related Pages
Saumur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A pretty and lively town with plenty to see and do"
- "Super Saumur"
- "SAUMUR IN THE LOIRE VALLEY"
- "A Visit to Saumur"
- "Bon voyage"
- "Beauty of the Loire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saumur
- Hotels in Saumur
- Transportation in Saumur
- Restaurants in Saumur
- Shopping in Saumur
- Warnings and Dangers in Saumur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saumur
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Saumur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saumur
Read real reviews about Saumur Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Utah Intro, 72 reviews, 126 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salt Lake City Intro, 55 reviews, 124 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oregon Intro, 38 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basse-Normandie Intro, 20 reviews, 51 photos
- North Rim Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Staircase - Escalante National Monument Intro, 13 reviews, 41 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Snow Canyon State Park Intro, 11 reviews, 36 photos
- Garden City Intro, 18 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 12 reviews, 32 photos
- Capitol Reef National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos