"Yarmouth, Nova Scotia" Yarmouth by babygrand

Yarmouth Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 154 photos

Great Place to Live and Grow

On the very southernmost tip of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth is a small town with a big personality. Lots of interesting architecture, GREAT B&B's and water all around us. Yarmouth is bordered by the Bay of Fundy, the Gulf of Maine, and the Atlantic Ocean. Fishing and tourism are main industries.
Nice campgrounds, pleasant weather (most of the time), moderate winters, all make this a great place to live.

Lots of history available

Cape Forchu was first discovered by Samuel Champlain in 1604. That is currently the site of the lighthouse. The old fishing captains built some incredible homes in this area, and the architecture has to a large extent been protected. Now, you can stay in these historic homes, as many of them are converted to Bed and Breakfasts.

To get a really good sense of the history here, a visit to the local cemeteries is a real eye-opener. You can watch the passage of time, the wars are all noted, and the memorials are reminiscent of a different era.

And don't forget the museums....the local historical society has good cause to be proud. The historical museum is far better than you would expect in a town of under 10,000 people. Then drop by the Firefighter's Museum and see how they did things in the "good old days". And finally, you can visit the Sweeney's Fishery Museum.

Beautiful colours

Fall is an especially wonderful time for travelling in Nova Scotia. We have a temperate climate, so no great extremes of weather. Southwestern Nova Scotia (my home) is protected a bit from extreme cold by the Gulf Stream. During the fall season, biking, hiking and camping are great activities, as the weather is comfortably cool, and the colours!! Well, see for yourself.

• Pros:Ocean, forest, rivers, natural beauty
  • Cons:Not the place for Bright lights, big city vacations
  • In a nutshell:great for families, outdoors activities, water activities
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2007

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Thanks for commenting on my Melk page, you are welcome in Europe once again :) Yarmouth has a great location, I wish to visit Canada in the following years. Regards from Bucharest!

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for the beautiful pics of autumn leaves/fall. It makes me want to visit this amazing place.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Good Yarmouth tips Betty.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2008 at 4:04 PM

Nice Yarmouth pages. Do you like lobster . We can't belivee how cheap they are. I feel for the fishermen though!

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 10:10 AM

I'm envious of your weather! One day we will finish our NS visit, including Yarmouth, Digby and the rest of western Nova Scotia

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 6:00 PM

Went to the Austrian Inn with my parents for Brunch! Great food, too much to eat and very reasonable. best wishes from other traveling Canadians!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 6:14 PM

I enjoyed reading your tips on historic Yarmouth! This water-surrounded tip of Nova Scotia is a place I've long wanted to sample at my leisure, and your page has driven me up a notch!

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 5:56 PM

It's quite normal to dream of being number one! Lesley

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Didn't quite make it to Yarmouth but I did love Nova Scotia

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Hello Betty. Stumbled across your homepage and hometown page. Very nice tips and photos. I really enjoy reading members' tips about their hometowns :-) Greetings from the desert / Jess

babygrand Works Here!

babygrand

“How can you not travel? It's a big world out there!”

Badges & Stats in Yarmouth

Have you been to Yarmouth?

Latest Activity in Yarmouth