"Yarmouth, Nova Scotia" Yarmouth by babygrand
Yarmouth Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 154 photos
On the very southernmost tip of Nova Scotia, Yarmouth is a small town with a big personality. Lots of interesting architecture, GREAT B&B's and water all around us. Yarmouth is bordered by the Bay of Fundy, the Gulf of Maine, and the Atlantic Ocean. Fishing and tourism are main industries.
Nice campgrounds, pleasant weather (most of the time), moderate winters, all make this a great place to live.
Cape Forchu was first discovered by Samuel Champlain in 1604. That is currently the site of the lighthouse. The old fishing captains built some incredible homes in this area, and the architecture has to a large extent been protected. Now, you can stay in these historic homes, as many of them are converted to Bed and Breakfasts.
To get a really good sense of the history here, a visit to the local cemeteries is a real eye-opener. You can watch the passage of time, the wars are all noted, and the memorials are reminiscent of a different era.
And don't forget the museums....the local historical society has good cause to be proud. The historical museum is far better than you would expect in a town of under 10,000 people. Then drop by the Firefighter's Museum and see how they did things in the "good old days". And finally, you can visit the Sweeney's Fishery Museum.
Fall is an especially wonderful time for travelling in Nova Scotia. We have a temperate climate, so no great extremes of weather. Southwestern Nova Scotia (my home) is protected a bit from extreme cold by the Gulf Stream. During the fall season, biking, hiking and camping are great activities, as the weather is comfortably cool, and the colours!! Well, see for yourself.
- Pros:Ocean, forest, rivers, natural beauty
- Cons:Not the place for Bright lights, big city vacations
- In a nutshell:great for families, outdoors activities, water activities
Cloud Nine operates on the "North Shore" (Highway 101 by Annapolis, Kentville) and the "South Shore" (Highway 103 by... more travel advice
Amero's Shuttle travels the "North Shore" between Yarmouth and Halifax, and from Halifax back to Yarmouth. They are... more travel advice
babygrand's Related Pages
Yarmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yarmouth, Nova Scotia"
- "A Tour of Betty's "Backyard"!"
- "Quaint, friendly people, beautiful scenery"
- "A weekend in Nova Scotia"
- "YARMOUTH, Nova Scotia, Canada"
- "Yarmouth Nova Scotia"
- "Living in Yarmouth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yarmouth
- Hotels in Yarmouth
- Transportation in Yarmouth
- Nightlife in Yarmouth
- Restaurants in Yarmouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Yarmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yarmouth
- 10 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Yarmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yarmouth
Photos in YarmouthSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 72 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bear River Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sorrento Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amalfi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 6 photos