"There's never enough time!" Pompeii by babygrand
Pompeii Travel Guide: 980 reviews and 2,709 photos
Walking up the road to the ruins at Pompeii is like strolling along any other road or passage. It's not until you reach the entrance to the city that you begin to realize how far you've really travelled. The Parking area is so full of shops and vendors, you almost forget where you're going. However, once you enter the ruins, you soon come to realize this is a different place. The ruins you've seen thus far were not cemeteries. They were living places which passed away from natural causes. This place is frozen in time due to a calamity of disastrous proportions. It did not quitely pass into oblivion.
We only had a short time to see the ruins here, and it was probably a good thing, few of the people with us were dressed warmly. It snowed a bit further down the road. Even the cold could not diminish the awesome sense of power projected by Mt. Vesuvius as it looms above the ruins it created.
We may not have been able to find anything truly reminiscent of this awesome place, but we did find a good book showing the now and then. It also pointed out many interesing facts about the buildings, their purpose, and the history of the excavation. Combined with our memory and pix, we'll certainly never forget this stop.
- Pros:History lovers should not pass this by!
- Cons:Distance from Rome makes daytrip too short.
- In a nutshell:An incredible place for history buffs to wander & look
babygrand's Related Pages
Pompeii Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful Roman town of Pompei"
- "The Dead City"
- "Striding across Pompei"
- "Frozen in time"
- "Pompeii: Rising from the Ashes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pompeii
- Hotels in Pompeii
- Transportation in Pompeii
- Nightlife in Pompeii
- Restaurants in Pompeii
- Shopping in Pompeii
- Warnings and Dangers in Pompeii
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pompeii
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Pompeii?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pompeii
Photos in PompeiiSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 72 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bear River Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sorrento Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amalfi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 6 photos