"Travel now, opportunity knocks but once!" babygrand's Profile
Here's a brief look at winter in Nova Scotia. Early morning frost by the lake near our home. There's a bridge, and wherever water moves, it mists and creates this beautiful sight. So, you see, diamonds DO grow on trees. At least here they do.
This is a shot looking up the lake, the water is moving here, so the ducks tend to stay here, but it gives a nice long shot from the bridge.
I love living near the ocean. This is our lighthouse. I have seen winds so high that the water and waves are blown right over from one side to the other of this "cliff". It can be very dangerous in bad weather, but if you stay back where it's safe, it's an awesome sight.
This is a Cape Island boat. It's used here for lobster fishing, long-line fishing and hand-line fishing. They're sturdy little things. This day we're on our way out to the Tusket Islands for a day trip in summer. No fishing. Some of the guys run tours of the islands in summer, and it's an experience to be enjoyed. Especially if you are a photo buff.
This is why it's worth the trip. This is a whole field of wild irises, growing beside a beautiful beach, in the middle of nowhere, and the only people around are the ones you brought with you, plus a few locals out to enjoy an afternoon of sea, sun and sand.
This is the beach on Seal Island, one of the larger of the Tusket Islands. Some folks have summer homes out here. There's a nice wharf to tie up. there are actual roads, a small church, and lots of walking.
This is a shot taken the night before the lobster season opens. The boats are loaded and ready to go. They have to wait till daybreak (usually 6:00) and the Fisheries Officers monitor this quite tightly. Then it's a race to the "best spots". Unfortunately every once in awhile someone overloads and tries to go too fast, and they lose it all. Sometimes even their lives. It's a dangerous business at best.
I don't know if you can see this, but here's one lonely boat returning home after being out all day. These guys work long and difficult hours, so if you ever wonder why lobster is expensive, just try following one of these guys for a day. There's not enough money in the world to make me want to do this for a living. You can see the lighthouse in the background.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 27 Reviews
- 201 Photos
- 5 Countries
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
- Posted in Travel Cape Breton Island Forum "Re: New Years in Cape Breton"
- babygrand and Redlats are now friends.
- updated a Yarmouth Travelogue "Fall Colours -- Part 2"
- Commented on CdnJane's profile page
- Wrote a Review Fake hotel staff about Beggars and Cons in Rome Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Very nice and very convenient."
updated their Profile Page "Travel now, opportunity knocks but once!"
- Uploaded a Video to London
Top 10 Pages
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 72 photos, 8 travelogues
- Bear River Intro, 3 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamilton Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Pompeii Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sorrento Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Amalfi Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos