South Africa Transportation Tips by MichaelFalk1969 Top 5 Page for this destination
South Africa Transportation: 168 reviews and 129 photos
A concept you have to get used to: In SA you facilitate overtaking by temporarily evading across the yellow line which marks the sideline of the motorway. (Depending on a free sideline, which you should check!) If you are going to overtake and somebody lets you by crossing the yellow line, you flash your warning lights once to say "thank you".
I read some postings about how bad South Africans drive .. I cannot confirm this information. On the contrary. The drivers I met on the road were very disciplined, kept their safety distance, kept their speed limits and didn`t even use a horn.
People walking on the road, jaywalkers, cattle and wild animals on the road are a risk, especially in rural areas. As you can see in the photo.
South Africa keeps the motorways spotlessly clean .. we rarely saw any trash on the road, like a can of coke or plastic bags. They employ people to clean the road on a regular basis. Quite impressive.
There are some toll roads, like the Chapmans Peak Drive or the Zululand part of the N2.
Parking: Self-appointed Car Guards watch over your car while you are away. They expect a small donation between 5-10 Rand. These are really poor people trying to make a living, so you should be generous.
Type: Car/Motor Home
A normal car will usually suffice for south african national parks; you probably won`t need a 4WD. It is not always easy to spot animals in the parks from the car as the vegetation is high and even an elephant can vanish completely from sight a few meters distance from the road. So be patient and drive slowly.
Keep in mind that even bug beetles have right of way! They are so big you can easily spot them from a car.
By the way I didn`t arrange the turtles on the photo to have a better shot. They just came along naturally. No animals were harmed while shooting this photo.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (39)
- See All Animal Photography in National Parks
- See All Snakes on the road!
- See All Cape Town
- See All Among wild animals ...
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
South Africa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A world in one country!"
- "A peek into a great country"
- "SUNNY SOUTH AFRICA not at the moment its raining"
- "South Africa Road Trip"
- "South Africa"
- "South Africa - We had a wonderful World Cup!"
- "The Splendour of South Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Africa
- Hotels in South Africa
- Transportation in South Africa
- Nightlife in South Africa
- Restaurants in South Africa
- Shopping in South Africa
- Warnings and Dangers in South Africa
- See All...
Explore the World
- Paramus Hotels
- Lago di Nemi Hotels
- Lago Espejo Hotels
- Fillmore Hotels
- Paredes de Coura
Badges & Stats in South Africa
- 41 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to South Africa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Africa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 158 reviews, 208 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 90 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 31 reviews, 124 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 58 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Top South Africa hotels
- Cape Town Hotels
- 2652 Reviews - 6081 Photos
- Johannesburg Hotels
- 1067 Reviews - 2180 Photos
- Durban Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 844 Photos
- Port Elizabeth Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Pretoria Hotels
- 394 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Sun City Hotels
- 311 Reviews - 834 Photos
- Clarens Hotels
- 31 Reviews - 58 Photos
- East London Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Skukuza Hotels
- 9 Hotels
- Nelspruit Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Umhlanga Rocks Hotels
- 19 Reviews - 30 Photos
- George Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 136 Photos
- Knysna Hotels
- 170 Reviews - 329 Photos
- Hazyview Hotels
- 11 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Pietermaritzburg Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 48 Photos