Frankfurt am Main Things to Do Tips by MichaelFalk1969 Top 5 Page for this destination
Frankfurt am Main Things to Do: 540 reviews and 925 photos
Another recommended cycling path is the Regionalpark Rundroute, which surrounds the larger Frankfurt - Wiesbaden - Mainz - Offenbach area. The round trip is 190 km long with several detours, so it is advisable to choose smaller stretches with a length suitable to a half-day- or daytrip. It is well-marked (a red field with a white half-circle indicates the round trip; the Regionalpark Route is also indicated by a red pyramid in a green circle. The route has small attractions all along the way which I will describe in more details in a travelogue. One nice feature are the white "pebbles" which are placed all along the course: they are meant for sitting in the nature, taking a break, reading a book, and are quite comfy.
A worthwhile tour leads from Eschborn (Arboretum) via Sulzbach, Liederbach, Kriftel, Hattersheim, Weilbac, Flörsheim, Hochheim to Mainz-Kostheim, where the Main River enters the Rhine (ca. 50 km one way). From here, it is possible to return to Frankfurt main station with the S-8 metro from the station Mainz-Gustavsburg.
Although Frankfurt is a urban metropolis, it is still embedded within a rural landscape on the city fringes. So it is possible to cycle around the whole city in a green countryside, with the city still in view. The roundtrip is about 75 km long, and the mostly flat course can be done in a day. Public transport back to Frankfurt is available at many points close to the course, so it is possible to do shorter routes as well. For long stretches, the cycling path follows the rivers Main and Nidda. The route is well-marked with the Grüngürtel-sign (a green half-circle resembling a smiley-face-icon) all along. A possible entry-point would be the Main-cycling path in the center of Frankfurt, along the bank of the Main River. It is advisable to do the course in a clockwise direction to avoid the one real uphill passage of the path.
This cycling path even has an mascot: the "Grüngürteltier", a fantastic creature that even has a small statue along the path (on the bridge to the old Bonames airport, along the Nidda River).
One of the better zoos in Germany - though I would rank the Hannover, Berlin, Munich and Hamburg zoos higher. Frankfurt suffers a little from being an inner-city-zoo, there is not much space to expand. Many animal exhibits have been modernized, for example, the big cat - house, the seal pool and the apehouse. Other parts are hopefully going to be modernized soon like the Bear enclosure. The hippo pond is a disgrace in my opinion. But all in all a well-run zoo, with usually well-kept animals.
A unique highlight is the night animals - exhibition (the Grzimek-house), where night-active animals can be seen in near darkness.
In Kronberg (near Frankfurt) is another zoo Opel-Zoo that is also wortwhile seeing.
Several buildings are illuminated at night and give Frankfurt a special athmosphere. The Opera House is especially beautiful then, but also the skyscrapers, which are best seen at night from the southern bank of the Main river or the "Alte Brücke" bridge.
The only skysraper inb Frankfurt that is currently open to the public. The best view of Frankfurt and the surrounding region; great photo opportunities (on a clear day). Admission: roughly 5,- €.
A collection of sculptures from antiquity (Egypt, Greece, Rome) and the middle ages with unique artefacts. The Liebighaus itself is a lovely old builiding with a garden cafe (excellent cake/salads).
The museum has reopened in march 2008, with refurbished, much more attractive showrooms.
Address: Frankfurt / Sachsenhausen
Directions: Frankfurt / Sachsenhausen
The main landmarks of Frankfurt - the city with the most beautiful highrise skyline in Germany. The best place to appreciate them is either from the roof of the Maintower itself (viewing platform, open to the public) or the southern side of the Main (Museumsufer).
The golden cock
The "Alte Brücke" bridge over the Main River has one of the best views of the Frankfurt Skyline at night. Apart from that, there is an old Frankfurt folk tale connected to the bridge. The medieval architect responsible for the building of the bridge was promised a high reward by the city patricians if he would complete his work in time. If not, he would be executed. As it became obvious that he would not be able to meet his deadline, he promised the devil the soul of the first being that would cross the bridge if he would assist in the timely construction. The builder knew that by rights that would be him (it is tradition that the architect would be the first person to cross the bridge). The devil worked like mad, and the builder met his deadline. When the bridge was officialy opened, the clever builder drove a cock over the bridge so that the devil would leave him unscathed. The devil took the cock and fumed at being outwitted. In honor of this legend, a small golden cock is mounted on a cross on the "Alte Brücke".
Directions: 5 minutes south from metro station "Konstabler Wache"
This small museum in a historic building at the southern end of the "Alte Brücke" - bridge has an excellent collection of icon paintings. Often there are temporary exhibtions highlighting a theme in icon painting (like "angels") or a particular region (Georgia, Ethiopia, Byzantium).
Address: Brückenstrasse 3
Directions: Metro exit Konstabler Wache, then walk south direction Main Bridges/Sachsenhausen. Cross the "Alte Brücke" - bridge - the historic building on the left is the Icon Museum.
More Reviews (52)
- See All Maibacher Schweiz - u/c
- See All Next to the Stock Market
- The only english-speaking cinema in...
- See All Bockenheimer Warte
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the world's best opera company"
- "The most Un-German City in Germany"
- "Main Metropolis"
- "A city better than its reputation"
- "Frankfurt - aka "Mainhattan""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankfurt am Main
- Hotels in Frankfurt am Main
- Transportation in Frankfurt am Main
- Nightlife in Frankfurt am Main
- Restaurants in Frankfurt am Main
- Shopping in Frankfurt am Main
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankfurt am Main
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main
- 90 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Half a photo"
- updated a Frankfurt am Main Travelogue "Regionalpark Rundroute - cycling path (2)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Regionalpark Rundroute - cycling path (2)"
- Wrote a Review Regionalpark-Rundroute in Frankfurt am Main Things to Do
- Commented on one of Nemorino's Frankfurt am Main travel pages
Photos in Frankfurt am MainSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 158 reviews, 208 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 90 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 31 reviews, 124 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 58 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Frankfurt am Main hotel reviews
- Arabella Sheraton Congress
- 137 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof
- 184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Holiday Inn Frankfurt Conference Centre
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Mercure Residenz Frankfurt Messe
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Plaza
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 5, 2013
- Sheraton Frankfurt Hotel & Towers, Conference Center
- 878 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Dorint Novotel Frankfurt Niederrad
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Consul
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 24, 2013
- Frankfurt Marriott Hotel
- 290 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- Courtyard Frankfurt Messe
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 6, 2013
- All Seasons Frankfurt City
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- The Westin Grand Frankfurt
- 400 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- InterContinental Frankfurt
- 376 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Steigenberger Airport Hotel
- 413 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Apartments Duval
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 2, 2013