"Frankfurt" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main by MichaelFalk1969

Frankfurt am Main Travel Guide: 1,776 reviews and 3,874 photos

"Bankfurt"

Frankfurt is the financial hub of Germany; it hosts the stock exchange and most major and minor banks. Apart from that, it has some nice parks, a beautiful botanical garden, a zoo, excellent museums, theater, opera, a few restored historical houses (the "Römer") in the old town square, interesting modern architecture, shopping possibilities galore and lots of restaurants and bars.

There are many German cities that come to my mind that have much, much less to offer. Since I live here, I have recognized that the rather negative or at least indifferent reputation of Frankfurt ("better skip it"; "I wouldn`t want to live here"; "just banks and the airport") is totally undeserved. I`m planning on a longer stay.

Another big point in favour of Frankfurt is its central location, which makes it a good base to explore Hessia. There are lots of destinations in daytrip-distance that deserve a visit, most can be reached easily with public transport (see my off the beaten path - tips).

• Pros:culture, architecture, restaurant scene
  • Cons:cost of living, some dull or run-down suburbs
  • In a nutshell:"Money, Money, Money"
  • Last visit to Frankfurt am Main: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2009

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Nice page

• alza's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hi Michael, Enjoyed your tips on Frankfurt & surroundings (good OTBPath destinations!) Also like your choice of subjects & enthusiastic spirit. Next time, I'll try to pull myself away from the Odenthal to finally visit the Taunus region. Tks for this! Cheers!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Hello, Michael! I've never had the chance to explore... I was only at the airport... I must see more some day...

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Hallo Michael, danke fuer Deine Tips! Ich verbringe 2 Wochen bei meiner Tante in Hofheim dieses Jahr und werde oefters Frankfurt besuchen... freu mich schon! Gruesse aus Dubai / Jess ;-)

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Very interesting comments! We will spend 3 days in Frankfurt in January and hope to see as much as possible there...

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Hi Michael - Just found your pages. Stunning opening photo - will do a delux tour here w/you. Ciao, Carol <(•¿•)>

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM

It is hard to imagine skyscrapers in the city, but progress meets the historical. It is loaded with museums. Great pictures and comments for this wonderful place and your cover picture is splendid.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2008 at 8:32 AM

Great pages and Tips. Time for another visit here. I particularly like your Darmstadt Off the beaten track Tip. Very useful and it lives up to my travel Motto! Thanks for sharing.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2007 at 7:29 AM

I like the tips for excursions out from the city - I'd like to explore some of the Hesse region. And an American Indian restaurant in Frankfurt! Karl May would be proud.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 1:36 AM

Great page on this city and its numerous attractions. Loved the half-timbered houses best. Hessenpark looks like a town from a fairytale, so unreal.

MichaelFalk1969

“and miles to go before I sleep ...”

Badges & Stats in Frankfurt am Main

Have you been to Frankfurt am Main?

Latest Activity in Frankfurt am Main