"A tiny VT page for the tiny Saarland ..." Saarland by MichaelFalk1969

Saarland Travel Guide: 152 reviews and 464 photos

A late discovery ...

The Saarland is the tiniest "Bundesland" (federal state) of Germany (not counting the city states of Bremen, Hamburg and Berlin). Historically, after WW 2 it was for some time in the balance if the Saarland would become an independent nation or become an integral part of France. The population finally opted for a return to Germany, but French cultural influences have always been strong here.

It is also the last federal state in germany that I visited (first time in 2009) which is a pity because despite its small size it has lots of outdoor and cultural experiences to offer. I especially recommend to do the 6 hour - hike to the "Saarschleife" river bend, one of the most beautiful hiking paths in Germany I know.

The downside is that the capital city (Saarbrücken) ist not what one would call attractive. But you can easily skip Saarbrücken for all the other friendly places in tiny Saarland.

This page is by no means a comprehensive account, but rather the start of a Saarland VT page ...

• In a nutshell:Size doesn`t matter !
  • Last visit to Saarland: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2010

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2010 at 4:00 AM

Ýou've picked some of the most beautiful spot of the Saarland, but there are many more. I should know, since I'm from there, living in "exile"now. Thanks for your hotel tip, I'm considering staying there next year.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Ah, great :-)) Schiffweiler is my town of birth :-)) And I always wanted to visit that dino park :-))

MichaelFalk1969

“and miles to go before I sleep ...”

Badges & Stats in Saarland

Have you been to Saarland?

Latest Activity in Saarland