"Yemen - the real Arabia" Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen by MichaelFalk1969
Yemen Travel Guide: 1,106 reviews and 4,304 photos
Update 1/2010: When I last visited Yemen, the political situation was relatively stable. The situation now (2013/2014) looks decidedly more volatile - bordering on civil war - and friends I know who lived and worked in Yemen confirm that now might not be the best of times to visit this wonderful country. So if you intend to visit Yemen, follow the news closely, check the current travel warnings and postpone your trip until things have calmed down again.
The oil money has led to the creation of many ultramodern Arabian destinations trying to outshine Hongkong, but the Yemen is a totally different world. Due to the lack of oil or other natural ressources, both the traditional architecture and the Yemeni way of life have remained relatively unspoiled.
The unique qualities of Yemen are a fascinating traditional architecture, especially in the Old Town of Sanaa, the beauty of its sometimes rugged, sometimes fertile landscapes, its deserts and mountains, and above all the friendly and welcoming Yemenis.
- Pros:very friendly people, architecture, diverse landscapes
- Cons:wild rubbish dumps, lack of western-standard tourist facilities
Socotra is a beautiful, sparsely populated island off the Yemeni coast with great beaches, lots of marine life, rugged... more travel advice
I must admit Aden was only a stopover for half a day and we only got a superficial impression at best. What we saw was... more travel advice
- See All Hameeda in Shibam
- See All Painted Palace
- See All The Muezzin calls ..
- See All Hadramaut Honey
- See All Quat
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Yemen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yemen - the real Arabia"
- "YEMEN* THE LAND OF QUEEN SHEBA * YEMEN"
- "YEMEN - Old and Historical"
- "YEMEN: Mountainous and ethereal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yemen
- Hotels in Yemen
- Transportation in Yemen
- Nightlife in Yemen
- Restaurants in Yemen
- Shopping in Yemen
- Warnings and Dangers in Yemen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yemen
- 80 Reviews
- 78 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Yemen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yemen
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 210 reviews, 347 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 49 reviews, 159 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 92 reviews, 112 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Berlin Intro, 60 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 23 reviews, 87 photos, 8 travelogues