"Cologne" Cologne by MichaelFalk1969
Cologne Travel Guide: 1,609 reviews and 4,007 photos
Cologne - one of the oldest cities in Germany. Founded as "Colonia Agrippinensis" by the Romans - a medieval metropolis and political and religious center - one of the first German cities to adopt the principles of the French Revolution - and always a commercial hub as part of the economically flourishing Rhineland in the 19th century.
Don`t be disappointed though if at first glance, the historic past is hard to discover. Much has been destroyed in WW2 and where historic buildings have been reconstructed, they often exist near grubby apartment blocks from the 50`s. And yes, it rains much in Cologne. Maybe this is the reason why I am a bit critical on Cologne, but I never ever visited the city in good weather.
Apart from the Cathedral, Cologne boasts to have 12 churches built in the romanic style, there are many first-class museums, a fine zoo & aquarium, excellent restaurants and lots of shopping possibilities. And finally the 1. FC Köln, the local soccer club (I once supported) that for now seems again on its way into the major German soccer league (Bundesliga).
- Pros:Dom, Kölsch (beer), Chocolate museum, 1. FC Köln, Zoo
- Cons:many examples of grubby postwar-architecture, weather, traffic
- In a nutshell:Lots of attractions at second glance!
The origin of the Melaten cemetery is a medieval leper asylum - the deceased were buried here. Also, an executioners... more travel advice
The red-brick "Zeughaus" with its red-white window-panes was an armoury in historic times and now features the quite... more travel advice
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Cologne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Cologne"
- "Koelsh, ja wohl"
- "Köln am Rhein"
- "Roman History, Magnificent Cathedral, and Kölsch"
- "My big neighbour, Cologne (Köln)!"
- "Cologne under Construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cologne
- Hotels in Cologne
- Transportation in Cologne
- Nightlife in Cologne
- Restaurants in Cologne
- Shopping in Cologne
- Warnings and Dangers in Cologne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cologne
- 31 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Cologne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cologne
Top 10 Pages
- Germany Intro, 181 reviews, 286 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 112 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 69 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 58 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue