"Budapest - my "Paris of the East"" Budapest by MichaelFalk1969

Budapest Travel Guide: 7,773 reviews and 18,087 photos

Visiting Budapest, the capital of Hungary, I realized how lucky we are to be able to travel freely to the glorious capitals of "New Europe". Budapest - in my opinion - is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. A truly inspiring place that breathes history.

To me, there are striking similarities between Budapest, Prague and Vienna .. maybe because the long Habsburg Rule left a common imprint which long endured after 1918, but mainly because in each of these cities, layers of every historical era are easily visible.

Budapest as a city is a relatively new invention, as only in 1873, the cities of Buda, Ofen and Pest were joined in one political entity. It has seen its share of tragic events - the defeat in the 1848/49 revolution, the reduction of Hungary after WW 1, utter defeat and destruction in WW2, and the failed rising against Soviet rule in 1956.

But it was also the place where one of the most crucial events of modern history was set in motion, when the Hungarian government decided to open its borders to East German refugees in 1989 - ultimately leading to the unraveling of the Iron Curtain and the end of the Cold War.

But Budapest is also a very enjoyable place, with great restaurants, a sophisticated coffee culture, relaxing baths and spas and amazing museums and galleries. In a tie-in with Vienna and Prague, my favourite city in Europe.

• Pros:the sheer beauty of the city ...
  • Cons:nothing I can think of ...
  • In a nutshell:Simply the Best - Budapest!
  • Last visit to Budapest: Aug 2015
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2015 at 5:55 PM

Michael- you have some wonderful photos of a beautiful city. Are they finished with the remodelling? So much was under scaffolding when i went there a few years ago

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
      Aug 25, 2015 at 2:13 AM

No, it was perfect - no scaffolding anywhere and fine weather. But I have to rework my page, the photos are new, but the text is not too informative as it was one of my early pages (:-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Budapest is superb! ... Thanks for your page, Michael! ><><><

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 8:45 AM

You have some beautiful pictures here, but then its almost impossible to take a bad picture in Budapest. I love this city.

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2006 at 9:06 AM

Hi! Indeed, I think too that the anonymus sculpture is soo similar to the scary creatures of the Lord of the rings:)) Nice page, and lovely pic of the Vajdahunyad castle!

MichaelFalk1969 Visits Here Frequently!

MichaelFalk1969

“and miles to go before I sleep ...”

Badges & Stats in Budapest

Have you been to Budapest?