"Budapest - my "Paris of the East"" Budapest by MichaelFalk1969
Budapest Travel Guide: 7,773 reviews and 18,087 photos
Visiting Budapest, the capital of Hungary, I realized how lucky we are to be able to travel freely to the glorious capitals of "New Europe". Budapest - in my opinion - is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. A truly inspiring place that breathes history.
To me, there are striking similarities between Budapest, Prague and Vienna .. maybe because the long Habsburg Rule left a common imprint which long endured after 1918, but mainly because in each of these cities, layers of every historical era are easily visible.
Budapest as a city is a relatively new invention, as only in 1873, the cities of Buda, Ofen and Pest were joined in one political entity. It has seen its share of tragic events - the defeat in the 1848/49 revolution, the reduction of Hungary after WW 1, utter defeat and destruction in WW2, and the failed rising against Soviet rule in 1956.
But it was also the place where one of the most crucial events of modern history was set in motion, when the Hungarian government decided to open its borders to East German refugees in 1989 - ultimately leading to the unraveling of the Iron Curtain and the end of the Cold War.
But Budapest is also a very enjoyable place, with great restaurants, a sophisticated coffee culture, relaxing baths and spas and amazing museums and galleries. In a tie-in with Vienna and Prague, my favourite city in Europe.
- Pros:the sheer beauty of the city ...
- Cons:nothing I can think of ...
- In a nutshell:Simply the Best - Budapest!
Next to St. Stephen`s Basilica, the Matthias Church - in the Buda part of the capital - is Budapests most famous church.... more travel advice
The Chain Bridge is an iconic landmark of Budapest and the most famous of the nine bridges that connect the Danube... more travel advice
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "BIG, BUSTLING, BEAUTIFUL, BUDAPEST!"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 24 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
- updated a Budapest Travel Page "Budapest - my "Paris of the East""
- Commented on one of MichaelFalk1969's Budapest tips
- Wrote a Review Mathias Church (Buda) & Tower Tour about Mathias Church - Mátyás Templom in Budapest Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mathias Church (Buda) & Tower Tour"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Half a photo"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 210 reviews, 347 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 49 reviews, 159 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 92 reviews, 112 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 74 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Berlin Intro, 60 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- England Intro, 23 reviews, 87 photos, 8 travelogues