"Canada - So much to do, so little time" Top 5 Page for this destination Canada by MichaelFalk1969
Canada Travel Guide: 39,627 reviews and 91,006 photos
Again - we didn´t see a bear. Except for our last day day in Canmore on TV (CSI Miami: A grizzly murder) and - in the departure lounge in Calgary Airport - reading the local newspaper that a black bear had twice visited the Banff Mc Donalds. If only we had known earlier, I had invested in some BigMacs. We even considered pouring maple-syrup on our car in order to attract a bear (just joking). On the other hand, elk were as common as rabbits where we went, we saw other deer, bighorn-sheep, coyotes, marmots & pikas, and once a beaver family, so wildlife watching had its ups and downs, on the whole.
But that was the only (minor) disappointment in Canada. This XXL-country, 8000 km coast-to-coast, is an intriguing mix of great landscapes and nature with some really interesting urban hotspots like Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria and historic Quebec blended in.
It is a hiking and canoeing paradise ... Indian Summer, wildlife, woods, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, glaciers, the Rockie Mountains, whale-watching - probably the best nature experience in the northern hemisphere (though Norway is at least on par, I think). Plus, the Canadians we met so far all lived up to their reputation for being friendly, easy-going and hospitable.
Very few things didn`t appeal to us in Canada - Banff and Japer townsite are very touristy and can be pretty crowded, the prices for some touristic venues are outrageously high, and lots of tourists choose to ignore national park rules against better knowledge which upsets me every time. But as a rule of thumb, even at the touristy places you quickly lose the hordes if you choose to do some of the more strenuous or longer hikes.
So far, we have been to Canada twice: First in 2000 when visting Ontario and Quebec and in 2008 when we did Vancouver - Vancouver Island - Wells Gray Park - Jasper & Banff National Parks.
This will surely not be the last time we go to Canada. My wife still wants to see Nova Scotia as a big "Anne of Green Gables" - fan, and the smaller or more remote parks like Waterton or Yoho are still on my travel wish list. And I´d very much like to do another trip to Vancouver Island.
- Pros:nature, wildlife, the friendly locals, interesting modern cities like Vancouver; maple syrup
- Cons:moose & bears didn`t show up in the national parks; irresponsible tourists in National Parks
- In a nutshell:Thank you for the moosic!
Cathedral Grove is the better-known name of the MacMillan Provincial Park on Vancouver Island. The main attraction is a... more travel advice
Greater Vancouver is pretty popular as a movie location as it roughly resembles US-American cities, has an interesting... more travel advice
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Canada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canada - So much to do, so little time"
- "8000 km Coast-to-Coast (5000 miles)"
- "Canada..... from coast to coast"
- "Canada coast to coast tour"
- "PLEASURE IN CANADIAN WATERS!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canada
- Hotels in Canada
- Transportation in Canada
- Nightlife in Canada
- Restaurants in Canada
- Shopping in Canada
- Warnings and Dangers in Canada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canada
- 73 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Canada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 158 reviews, 208 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 90 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 65 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 31 reviews, 124 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 58 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Top Canada hotels
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Montreal Hotels
- 3639 Reviews - 6793 Photos
- Niagara Falls Hotels
- 1437 Reviews - 3574 Photos
- Vancouver Hotels
- 3951 Reviews - 8217 Photos
- Ottawa Hotels
- 1797 Reviews - 4417 Photos
- St. John's Hotels
- 335 Reviews - 811 Photos
- Edmonton Hotels
- 588 Reviews - 909 Photos
- Winnipeg Hotels
- 386 Reviews - 539 Photos
- Halifax Hotels
- 983 Reviews - 1886 Photos
- Victoria Hotels
- 1620 Reviews - 3357 Photos
- Mont-Tremblant Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 319 Photos
- Windsor Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 962 Photos
- Calgary Hotels
- 1050 Reviews - 1852 Photos
- Banff Hotels
- 459 Reviews - 950 Photos
- Quebec Hotels
- 1557 Reviews - 3435 Photos