"How the West was won !" United States of America by MichaelFalk1969

United States of America Travel Guide: 301,644 reviews and 720,010 photos

I travel quite a lot, but somehow a visit to the United States never materialized for me. The USA were always on my short list of possible destinations, but somehow other destinations always beat them in the end.

Fast forward to October 2011: All of a sudden I had both time and money to travel for three weeks and urgently needed a destination. This time it is the USA, and due to the friendly weather forecast the Southwestern States (California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico) were where I chose to go first.

It turned out to be a great road trip which covered L.A., Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Mount Zion, Arches, Monument Valley, Santa Fe and Taos. Just driving through the vast territory on often very scenic (and sometimes dull) roads, with Country Music/Classic Rock in your radio and the possibility to change your itinerary whenever you like, is pure fun & freedom. I was happy to have the chance to visit many once in a lifetime-destinations which I had dreamed to see one day. Especially the Arizona/Southern Utah corner with Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Mount Zion is a hiker`s dream.

Since then, we have visited many other US destinations (Alaska, Hawaii, Yellowstone, NYC ..) I have dedicated own VT Pages to. It ist still only a fraction of what you can see in the USA, but - it`s a start. I hope to add many more U.S. locations (New England, Florida, San Francisco, California ...) over the next years.

... until the West is finally won !

• Pros:friendly, helpful locals; relatively cheap; diverse natural and man-made attractions
  • Cons:the fast food (lack of choice & quality)
  • In a nutshell:Go west !!!
  • Last visit to United States of America: Nov 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• PALLINA's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Wow! Finally in the Monument Valley! Magic looks very tired instead!

“and miles to go before I sleep ...”

Badges & Stats in United States of America

Have you been to United States of America?

Latest Activity in United States of America