"Puglia & Basilicata" Top 5 Page for this destination Puglia by MichaelFalk1969

Puglia Travel Guide: 465 reviews and 1,254 photos

I just LOVE Puglia

What did I like best in Puglia ? Hard to say: The clean beaches - the great food - the relaxed, friendly Puglians - the fantastic historic cities like Lecce, Otranto, Alberobello - the funny mushroom-like, cone-shaped "trullis", the dominating house type in central Puglia - and finally the fact that it is not (yet) overcrowded with tourists, even in peak season.

We saw a lot during our Puglian holiday but still there is much to discover: Bari (Old Town), Trani and Castel del Monte are still on our travel whishlist.

A short detour to the neighbouring region Basilicata was also extremely worthwhile. Matera, city of the "sassi" (cave dwellings) and film location for "The Passion of Christ" by Mel Gibson.

• Pros:weather, beaches, historic cities, friendly locals, gorgeous food, not overrun by tourists
  • Cons:English is not so common, but you`ll get through; industrial outskirts of Taranto and Bari
  • In a nutshell:I miss the great food !
  • Last visit to Puglia: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 6, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Hello, Michael! It's nice to read your travel pages! Vielen Dank!

• Marietje's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Thanks very much for the interesting comments .As we are leaving for Ostuni next week, your tips will be a great help!

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 1:59 PM

The trulli sound and look like a great place to stay. WE'd go in August. Others say Puglia is crowded then. Is that correct? Thanks, Mike

• Apr 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM

Nice page, but Puglia is overcrouded in july and August! u can take 2 hours to go at the beach near Otranto or in Salento area, now is update between italians! sept is the best!

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 2:24 PM

Great tips. Can't wait to try some of the restaurants . . . or all of them. Thank you.

• Sep 30, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I read your tips one more time...thanks for talking about me on your transportation tip!!!:D And I agree with you: Alitalia is the worst airline in Europe!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Great tips and great to see your pics as these are places been wanting to visit - esp the trulli!Turkish air and ryanair are my all time worst airlines...and a big Happy Birthday to you too!all the best.

MichaelFalk1969

“and miles to go before I sleep ...”

Badges & Stats in Puglia