"Slovakia - well worth visiting !" Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia by MichaelFalk1969

Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,214 reviews and 11,063 photos

Beautiful Slovakia !

You are now entering my very first VT page!

Slovakia is a hidden treasure of Eastern Europe: Bratislava is well worth a visit as the capital city, and the High Tatra region is a hiking heaven with snowcapped mountains, lakes, and waterfalls galore. As an additional bonus, it is not very expensive and even in high season not overrun by tourists.

What I especially liked was that - when driving through the countryside - it seems that time stood still here. I went through rural villages that reminded me very much of how Germany looked in my childhood, before agriculture was taken over by modern technology.

Would love to go there a second time !

• Pros:nature; excellent hiking trails; low prices
  • Cons:not all locals speak english (but you`ll get along)
  • Last visit to Slovakia: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2014

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2015 at 5:22 AM

We had planned on visiting the Tatras for a couple of days before heading to the pension that becames as our 'second home' in Saalfelden. One in our group changed jobs so he can't get enough time off. So the plans have been delayed but definately not cancelled!

• Minceta's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2014 at 5:29 AM

I went in August for one afternoon for the first time to Bratislava and I must admit that I was surprised very pleasantly - the center of the city (the old town) is very nice indeed!

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Michael- some lovely pictures of Slovakia. I didn't get to see Bratislava very well-concentrated more on castles and the Tatras. Well done!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM

I would like to spend some more time in this beautiful country....

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I loooooove Gargoyles!!! Wish I had this fellow on my house :)

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Slovakia is definatelly worth visiting! Great page for this beautifull country.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 2:16 AM

I really like your pictures. Lots of good info, too.

• Aug 2, 2006 at 10:03 AM

This IS a fabulous page with gorgeous photos - now I wish I had spent a few days in this country than just a few hours in Bratislava. :))

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 12:31 PM

Ohhh, fabulous start about one of my favourite East European capitals ... I especially like the painting of the castle...where did you take that photo??? :-)

MichaelFalk1969 Visits Here Frequently!

“and miles to go before I sleep ...”

Badges & Stats in Slovakia

Have you been to Slovakia?