"Ulm und um Ulm herum" Ulm by MichaelFalk1969
Ulm Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 831 photos
Until recently I knew next to nothing about Ulm, but when visiting friends living in the area, they gave us a private city tour, and we where pleasantly surprised. Ulm is one of the oldest cities in Germany - first mentioned in the 9th century - and for the longest part of its history it was an independent city ("Freie Reichsstadt") within the medieval German Empire. Ulm also had rich merchants and extensive trading connections with all parts of Europe. Napoleon Bonaparte rearranged Germany politically in 1803, thus ending the long independence of Ulm as a free city. Ulm became part of Bavaria and later of the Würtemberg Kingdom.
As Ulm grew, the city limits extended over the river Danube. Due to the political divisions of Germany after the Congress of Vienna, the newer parts on the right bank of the Danube are now part of Bavaria (the city of Neu-Ulm).
Though Ulm suffered some destruction in WW2 bombings, much has been reconstructed in the nice Old Town. Ulm also embraced modern architecture, which makes for very interesting (though controversial) contrasts between old and new architecture.
The main attraction nonetheless is the cathedral, the Ulmer Münster, with the worldwide highest church spire (161 meter). You can do the exhausting climb all to the top over more than 700 steps and enjoy the view over Ulm and the Danube.
- Pros:Ulm (:-)
- Cons:Neu-Ulm (:-(
This marvelous baroque monastery in the little town of Roggenburg close to Ulm has an interesting history. Established... more travel advice
The renaissance Old Town Hall - a short walk from the cathedral - was built in 1370. At first a merchant`s building, the... more travel advice
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Ulm Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The World's highest Church Spire and the Sparrows"
- "Medieval Ulm"
- "Ulm: More Than Just A Steeple"
- "Why not the Ülmster?"
- "Opera and canoeing in Ulm"
- "Swabian Gemuetlichkeit"
- "Welcome to Ulm"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ulm
- Hotels in Ulm
- Transportation in Ulm
- Nightlife in Ulm
- Restaurants in Ulm
- Shopping in Ulm
- Warnings and Dangers in Ulm
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ulm
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Ulm?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ulm
Photos in UlmSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 168 reviews, 221 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 102 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 69 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 38 reviews, 124 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 58 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Africa Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (28)
Latest Ulm hotel reviews