"Socotra (Yemen) - a strange and blissful island !" Top 5 Page for this destination Socotra by MichaelFalk1969
Socotra Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 234 photos
Socotra Island is part of Yemen (a great destination in itself), but the friendly Socotri islanders have their own distinct heritage, part Yemeni, part African, part Portuguese, part whatever nationality happened to end up on this island in the middle of nowhere. There is only one small city (Hadibo), the fishing village of Qualanisya, and that`s all the city life Socotra has. The unique qualities of Socotra are the unusual vegetation (the Dragonblood Trees), the rugged mountain landscapes of the interior, white unspoilt beaches with turquoise water like I have never seen in my life, and an abundance of marine life ideal for snorkeling.
If you ever wanted to have a tropical island or a special landscape "all for your own" and if you are annoyed by hordes of tourists congregating at all the same beatiful places, Socotra is the place for you.
Until now, roughly 1500 tourists per year go to Socotra (since the 1990`s). This is probably half the number of tourists that cross the Rialto Bridge in Venice per day. Meaning, you have the nice places for yourself, in the literal sense of the word ! I sincerely hope that Socotra will remain unspoilt as it is, without big hotels, crowds, tour busses, tourist shops and all that.
In the case of Socotra, isolation is a real advantage.
- Pros:great beaches, great landscapes, no big hotels
- Cons:rather difficult to reach; chaotic airport
- In a nutshell:My island of choice if I were Robinson Crusoe ...
It is absolutely necessary to hire a 4WD with a local driver/guide. While the tar road that surrounds the island is in a... more travel advice
While out on a boat trip to the marvelous Shoab Beach, we encoutered a couple of dolphins. Friends who did the boattrip... more travel advice
MichaelFalk1969's Related Pages
Socotra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Socotra (Yemen) - a strange and blissful island !"
- "Socotra Yemen -- some like it remote"
- "Socotra - A Forgotten Island You Will Never Forget"
- "A most incredible island!"
- "Socotra, the amazing island!"
- "See My report about expedition"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Socotra
- Hotels in Socotra
- Transportation in Socotra
- Nightlife in Socotra
- Restaurants in Socotra
- Warnings and Dangers in Socotra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Socotra
- 19 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Socotra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Socotra
Top 10 Pages
- Germany Intro, 183 reviews, 291 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 90 reviews, 127 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 112 photos, 6 travelogues
- London Intro, 69 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 38 reviews, 131 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 73 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 77 reviews, 67 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yemen Intro, 61 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 58 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 41 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue