"Eupen, German by birth, Belgian by choice." Eupen by charlesracine
Eupen Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
Eupen is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Liège, 15 km from the German border (Aachen), from the Dutch border (Maastricht) and from the nature reservation the Ardennes. The town is also the capital of the Euroregion Meuse-Rhine. In January 2006 Eupen had a total population of 18,248 (8,892 males and 9,356 females). The total German speeking area in Belgium is possibly 60,000 people.
After the end of the First World War, the Treaty of Versailles placed Eupen and the neighboring municipality of Malmedy from 1920 to 1925 under Belgian administration. The region was eventually subject to a plebiscite to determine whether the region would be permanently separated from Germany and annexed to Belgium. However, the vote was not secret, since the ballots required the name and postal address of each voter. Fearing expulsion if they voted for Germany, the populations of Eupen and Malmedy voted to join Belgium.
- Pros:You won't find many tourists here
- In a nutshell:A Germany apart from Germany.
This is located by Kolzerbahn & Gospert Strasse, near the Eupen Stadt museum and across the street. more travel advice
Not the normal but, a moving monument. more travel advice
charlesracine's Related Pages
Eupen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to my EUPEN page"
- "Eupen, German by birth, Belgian by choice."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eupen
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Eupen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eupen
Photos in EupenSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Aßmannshausen Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
- Eupen Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Grand Marais 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Verviers Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- London Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Racine 8 reviews, 1 photo
- Treuddyn 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Liège 5 reviews, 1 photo
- Lutherstadt Wittenberg Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos