Peru Hotel Tips by kzapanta
Peru Hotels: 194 reviews and 184 photos
Jacamar Lodge which translates as, The Pearl, is one of the jungle lodges around Iquitos, Peru. I picked this lodge because of all the activities available I saw on thier website. The price per night is expensive compared to the rest of my nights in Peru but worth it for the location and uniqueness of being in the Amazon.
There are no roads into Iquitos so you have to fly in from Lima. Iquitos itself is a large isolated city so don't be fooled your flying into a small jungle town. It has a few million people. Your guide for your stay will meet you at the airport and be with you everywhere you want to go or do. Get on the lodge's motorboat and go up the Amazon to the lodge.
The Lodge has running water in the bathrooms but no hot water. Not needed since the weather is hot. Each room shares a roof with another room to create private bungelows propped above the jugle floor by wooden beams. There is a large lounge, dining room, bar on one building and a lazy room with hammocks on another large building. There is no electricity and feels like a safari with full staff to cook all your meals.
Unique Qualities: There are tons to do here. We were able to go on jungle hikes, fish for pirahnnas, spear fishing, night river tours looking for nocturnal animails, bird watching, swimming with pink dolphins, visit a local village, canoeing... We did all this and more in 2 days. You are always with your guide and you need it.
Its a great experience but does cost more than an average night anywhere else.
Address: 3 1/2 hours up the Amzon river from Iquitos!
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Arrive in Iquitos by plane, then meet guide for the boat trip up to the lodge.
Price: US$180 and up
More Reviews (1)
kzapanta's Related Pages
Peru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One Gringa's Peru"
- "The heart of America"
- "Roads less traveled in Peru"
- "Proud to be peruvian!"
- "Peru, my first taste of the Andes and the jungle"
- "Paul2001's Travels Through Peru"
- "And, now, ladies and gentlemen : mas abajo !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peru
- Hotels in Peru
- Transportation in Peru
- Nightlife in Peru
- Restaurants in Peru
- Shopping in Peru
- Warnings and Dangers in Peru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peru
- 50 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 156 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Peru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peru
Read real reviews about Peru Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Mammoth Intro, 24 reviews, 17 photos
- Machu Picchu Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Alta Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuzco Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iquitos Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Puno Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
- Lake Forest Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Snowbird Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Philippines Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos